Update on new Harlequin shrimp(pics)

F

fishlovr

I'm really not sure how long it takes for a leg to grow back. I have heard of some people rotating several starfish from their sump for their harleys......maybe someone who knows will post:)
Janey

hnf2k

what kind of setup do you have for your mantis? also what are you feeding him? i have mine in a 10 gallon. he's molting now so he hasn't been out lately. he lost a lot of color from his molt also.

F

fishlovr

I've got my peacock(thumper)in a 6 gallon Eclipse for right now. He's about 4 inches long so will probably upgrade to a 12 gallon soon. So far he's eaten freeze-dried krill, an emerald crab, and tried to crack open a turbo unsuccessfuly. I took the emerald out of my 58 gallon so as not to have it bother my harlequin shrimp pair. I didn't think "thumper" would bother the crab......wrong! I've heard they love red fiddler crabs and am going to check with the LFS to see if they are expensive and if they can get them. I've got a little 1 1/2 inch wernerrae mantis (sp) that lives in a 3 gallon Eclipse and eats strictly freeze-dried krill. Here's a pic of my 6 gallon set up.

hnf2k

do you have any pictures of your mantis? i thought i had a peacock, but now someone said i might have a wennerae(or whatever you just said). i dont have a digi cam so im not really sure. what are the characteristic differences between the 2?

F

fishlovr

Here's a pic of my wennerae and my peacock.......the peacock is much larger and much more colorful......the shot was taken while he was still in the bag. He's about 4 inches long. The wennerae is much smaller about an inch and a half. He has a blueish green body and white meral spots......Reef Central has a mantis forum where you can get lots of help if you have more questions.....I'm new at this so you can get expert advise there:)
Janey

entice59

man i saw one for the first time today, it was half an inch!!! GEEZ, i thought they would be HUGE like my fire shrimp, thought wrong, how could these small creatures only eat starfish... i wish i had one =(

F

fishlovr

Maybe you can get one someday, entice59:) Cute little buggers arent' they. I love the way they walk......they lumber.....it just cracks me up!
That's a really funny video, mal:) Mantis are smart but not THAT smart!
Janey

F

fishlovr

I have the little mantis in a 3 gallon and the peacock in a 6 gallon for right now.....may upgrade to a 12 for him soon. I put a question out to the mantis forum at Reef Central as to how big and how long peacocks live in captivity. Haven't heard back yet......
Janey

F

fishlovr

I think the harley's only reach about an inch and a half in length. I have mine in my 58 gallon reef right now. The LFS had a pair in a 6 gallon Eclipse with one small fish......HTH
Janey