UPDATE on Potbelly seahorse thread

flower

This is as an update. I think the thread on potbelly seahorses is too large. I finally got all 5 of the pots at feeding time. I can't tell the difference between the new couple, and the established ones. I will say that in the last 3 days I have seen quite a bit more activity then before. I think the old timers were leery after the tank was redone with the new decor. Now since nothing bad happened to the new guys, they all out and hanging together and my tank no longer looks empty.
Also, I keep the air bubbles going when I feed them, pots like to chase their food. They are much faster then other seahorses and have no trouble eating like regular fish. I do turn off the filtration to make sure the horses have all they want. The peppermint shrimp gets what settles on the sand that the horses don't want, and 1 Chromis gets what floats to the top...there are no leftovers.
I have been waiting to post because I wanted all of them in the shot...today was the day:

The anchor is 24 inches tall...to give you an idea of the size of the pots.

mr. limpid

Looking good. Every time I see pictures of your tank I have tell myself that isn't cyno, it's macro. I bet it looks a lot better in person. Looks like they are eating frozen mysis from the water column?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394631/update-on-potbelly-seahorse-thread#post_3512376
Looking good. Every time I see pictures of your tank I have tell myself that isn't cyno, it's macro. I bet it looks a lot better in person. Looks like they are eating frozen mysis from the water column?
Mr Limpid: Yes they like to chase the food as the bubbles send it all over the tank. Like I said, I turn off the filtration. The Kuda in the 56g like to chase it too, so I allow them their fun. I seeded both tanks with amphipods so they can hunt for them in the rock. I have a CUC that eats what the horses miss, and with the macroalgae I don't worry much about the parameters, things are very stable. Before I hired some help, my health didn't allow me to do water changes but every 3 to 4 months and yet all was fine and happy....the macros went a little crazy growing, but the water was pristine. Now I have a lady who comes once a month to harvest the macros and do a large water change. As long as the macros stay trimmed, it is indeed a beautiful tank....the seahorses have a fine time clinging to the rungs of the wheel and the chain on the anchor.
LOL, Yes it's macroalgae...to be honest cyano is a beautiful red/purplish color, it's a shame it suffocates and covers everything like it does.
FTS...Taken when I was acclimating the new arrivals.

Meowzer:
According to the books...14 inches nose tip, to tail tip...These are about 8 inches, the ones Sam sent are about 7 inches, and a little slimmer, but they don't look so big in a 90g. The fat part of the anchor bottom in the picture is 8 inches, and horses are that size easy.
P.S.
Plastic chain are 2" links....maybe that will help tell their size.

flower

Video update:
These guys don't want the feeding dish, they want to chase their food down and pick on the rocks. So I just turn off the pumps, and let the airlines send the food everywhere. I have a little blue/green Chromis in there, and about 5 peppermint shrimp to help eat anything the horses may miss. They are still about 8 inches in size, I don't know how long it would take them to reach the 14 inches they are famous for. Three are 2 years old (there abouts) and two are 8 months....but to be honest, they all look to be about the same size, even Spot the runt is a big boy now....
http://youtu.be/aCb5AC36z-0

novahobbies

Hey Flower, I am giving a presentation on seahorses at my local club sometime in the next month or two. May I use a couple of your Pots and Kuda pictures in the powerpoint presentation? One of the talking points is common and uncommon horses in the market, and some of your shots might be perfect to show off those species.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/394631/update-on-potbelly-seahorse-thread#post_3527536
Hey Flower, I am giving a presentation on seahorses at my local club sometime in the next month or two. May I use a couple of your Pots and Kuda pictures in the powerpoint presentation? One of the talking points is common and uncommon horses in the market, and some of your shots might be perfect to show off those species.
LOL...I never saw this post. I hope you used the pictures!

novahobbies

My presentation is going to be either September or October, so thank! I'll definitely use one or two. Potbellys are such odd-looking critters, and it would be criminal not to at least mention them.