Upside-down McCosker's wrasse....

novahobbies

I have a small McCosker's wrasse that I got a few weeks ago from a dealer. He is a young male, about 2-2.5 inches long, and he was acting and swimming fine when I picked him up. He went into my 20g QT tank, and was fine for about a week. However, he started swimming on his side a little....then completely upside-down. He has extreme difficulty catching food at this point, although he is still fighting. Before I go any further, here are the basic stats:
1. How old is this aquarium? Established Hospital, 3 months
2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level? 0
3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured? 1.025, w/ refractometer. It can vary a little since there is only manual topoff for this tank.
4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium? about 3 weeks ago at this point.
5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How? This is the QT system. I have tried Maracyn-2 and Furan-2. I also started with a prophylactic Prazipro.
6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When? No.
7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer? No.
8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color? Fish is upside-down.
Seriously, he acts as though there is a swim bladder problem, but he stays on the bottom of the tank upside-down. His color is still decent, though slightly faded. His eyes are alert, and breathing is not laboured. He swims somewhat, but his energy is dropping.
9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish? See Question 8. I think I covered this.
10. Is the fish eating? What? Frozen mini-mysis. See the notation below how I do this if you want a laugh.

OK, so that should cover the basics. FYI the Nitrite is 0 and the Nitrate is rarely tested, but I've been doing 50% water changes every 4-5 days so certainly low to 0.
Now....When he started swimming upside-down, he still had a lot of energy and would go after food...both live brine and frozen mysis. Since this started, I did a little web-sleuthing and came across a possible issue - swim bladder infection is possible in young wrasses because the gastric cavity is still connected to the swim bladder. There was an instance like mine reported, and Maracyn was recommended.
I have so far tried Maracyn-2 (gram-negative) and Furan-2 (gram-positive and gram-negative) antibiotics. I've gone through full treatments of both with NO effects whatsoever. Carbon was removed for all treatments.
He's still fighting. Right now the only nutrition he's getting is because he's being hand-fed. I scoop the fish into a small glass bowl (he still tries to get away, but fairly easy to catch) and remove him so I have better access, then I feed him mini-mysis one by one with tweezers every night. I can usually get 5-6 mysis into him before he tires out....SOME protein, but not a lot.
I'd appreciate any other recommendations or even best guesses at this point. I haven't tried Maracyn-1 saltwater....for whatever reason it's very hard to get here. Not even Amazon. Sheesh. I do hope someone can chime in and offer an opinion. Thanks!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Frankly it seems that you have done everything you should have done to address this problem, including the meds. It leads me to think that something organic is going on, such nervous system, internal organ disease, etc. In which case, there is nothing you can do.
Did you use Maracyn 2 for Saltwater fish? And, if so, for how long? How is you pH? Rather then doing very large water changes, I would suggest that you do half gal wc daily, preferably just before re-dosing with antibiotic.
I'm going to suggest trying hypo as well, not for ich, but to reduce the osmotic pressure in the fish. The fish should get some relief by conserving metabolic energy and alleviating the side effects of stress. Lower very slowly and do not stress the fish. If adjustments to pH is need, it is best to premix ph buffers in water separately then add to water.
Can you post a picture of the fish?

novahobbies

Beth,
Thanks for the advice. I'm dropping the salinity right now. The fish is still alive. I remove him daily to feed him in a separate cup. He sucks down a couple pellets and a few mysis a day now. I had to go out of town this last weekend (Saturday thru Sunday late night) and I thought that if the fish was going to pass, he would have done so over the weekend. But he stuck it out and is still fighting, so I figure the least I can do is keep fighting with him. I started him on Tetracycline yesterday morning.
This morning he was actually swimming in the water column. On his side and upside down, but swimming. I'll try for some photos tonight.

novahobbies

Hmm. You know how I joked about "mad cow disease?" I'm ALMOST wondering if it's not such a joke. As in, a virus that's affecting his head.
He swims in circles. Upside down. Over, and over, and over again. Until he gets tired, then he rests on the bottom (In the curved position). Then he swims in circles again.

I'm uploading a video as well right now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, why in the world are you taking this fish out and putting it in a small cup?? This activity is highly stressful and opens the fish to injury using a net, infection, etc.

mr. limpid

I believe this due to how he was captured or handled B4 you got him. I have had plenty of fish that look fine when bought them and went south for no reason.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/395193/upside-down-mccoskers-wrasse#post_3518349
Ok, why in the world are you taking this fish out and putting it in a small cup?? This activity is highly stressful and opens the fish to injury using a net, infection, etc.
Beth, I'm not using a net. Neither am I chasing him down. I'm using my hand, gently scooping him up from his spot, then herding him into the cup which is already in the water. His escape reflex is quite poor right now, and he doesn't put up a fuss. I then remove the cup and feed the fish.
This is the only
way I can feed him right now. After he eats a few pellets and / or shrimp, he gets put back in the tank. He would never chase down the food in the tank at this point...as it is, the only food he takes is if it's held in tweezers right in front of his face. As soon as he's got enough strength to evade capture, he's on his own, but until then, he gets some food. Would you rather we be talking about a dead fish here??
Yesterday was the second dose of Tetra. He may be acting a little better. Not constant circles today, and seems to be more "on his side" than "on his back." The Tetra may be throwing him off his food, however, since he didn't eat much last night. According to the tetra instructions, I should do a 5g WC before adding tonight's dose, so we'll see how he reacts.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't move him anymore out of the hospital tank, for the reason I cite above.
See if you can get a feeding syringe from the pet shop (they are usually made to feed baby birds). You can easily get the food right at the fish with a syringe, and be able to dangle food on the tip of the syringe for him to eat.
Did you answer by question about using Maracyn Two for saltwater fish??

novahobbies

Oh! I forgot to answer that. Yes, I used Maracyn-2 for Saltwater, for a full treatment regimen. He was actually getting worse during that period unfortunately.