Urchin for the fuge?

footbag

I have always wanted an urchin, but knew enough not to put it in my display...I love coraline. I'm trying to hit the minimum order on SWF.COM and was wondering about one for my fuge. I have too much coraline on the glass in my fuge, and this may solve the problem. Or not?

bang guy

It has been my experience that herbivorous Urchins increase coralline growth. So, if you want to have less Coralline then I don't think an Urchin is the answer. I have about a dozen :D

krishj39

I have not noticed that the urchin's do any significant decrease or increase in coraline in my tank. I have 2 large ones in my 90g. I would think adding one to your refugium would be counterproductive because they love to eat macro-algae.

masterreef

We have a long spinned urchin in our 55 reef. Despite nearly everyone's assertion that the are not reef safe, this guy has never caused a problem. We still keep a close eye on him but you have to realize that these individual creatures have personalities and there are no absolutes in this hobby. I hope he continues to behave himself because he's one of my favorites . . .