Urchin Question

rionroxxx

I've heard if an urchin dies in your tank it's poisonous...is this true? I was planning on getting one if I ever get a bigger tank. Info on this and urchins in general. Thanks :thinking:

seasalt101

i need to know this too, as i have a blue tuxedo, i will move it to a smaller tank if this is true i don't want to lose everything again....tobin :happyfish

bang guy

If an Urchin or any animal dies in your tank is will decompose and produce Ammonia. Ammonia is a poison.
If you have enough Fireworms they will quickly consume a dead animal before it gets a chance to decompose.

seasalt101

ok so what if you are not sure of the worm population, having 160 lbs. of lr is it safe to assume they are there? also what about the standard clean-up crew, which in my situation is small ( i basicly transferred my 29 gal. crew to my 150 gal. dt so i have to this point pretty much neglected that except i added 4 peppermint shrimp ) but i am adding a few snails here and there? thanks tobin :happyfish

rionroxxx

So is having a sea urchin safe then taking that it stays and lives? I couldn't find any upkeep info on them. I have been eyeing this one that is small centered about 3 inch long spikes all over its body and is all black. I havent seen a picture anywhere online since I dont know its true name. The LFS just knows it's a "urchin" of some sort.

seasalt101

mine looks like a blue velcro ball dart like they had for the kids in the 80's that you threw at the felt type dartboard sound like your's just in a different color?

J

jesses89

I also have a question, sorry to hijack your thread...... ummm are urchins reef safe??? will they eat/harm corals? ty i know some arent and some are... can anyone list the ones that are? tyia

seasalt101

wuold like to know that one myself, as my reef tank is about to get some reef, should have all equipment in place next weekend then i start collecting the corals and i have heard negative things about urchins and reefs i'm just not sure if it was certain species or all of them arghh... might be gettin a credit at the ole lfs
tobin

fedukeford

Urchins are like 50% reef safe. Some will eat coral, sometimes their spines poke and kill coral, coral gets lodged into the spines of the urchins and eventually dies, etc. IMO the most reef safe urchin is a tuxedo/pincussion urchin, but theres still that chance...

julie853

I have two pencil urchins and have never had a problem with them bothering anything.I had a small tuxedo and a very small purple urchin that where both eaten by my CC starfish came home one day to see he was on the one and had allready eaten the other one.So if you have starfish be careful I'll though my CC starfish never bothers the pencil urchins.They stay hidden all day and then come out and forage at night on the alge mainly on my LR.

sepulatian

Please make sure your tanks are established before introducing any urchins. They also require longer acclimation time than fish do (4+ hrs). :happyfish

yimmy

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Please make sure your tanks are established before introducing any urchins. They also require longer acclimation time than fish do (4+ hrs). :happyfish
I just realized I made an oops. I got an urchin a week ago, a tuxedo, its fine right now and what not but I only acclimated mine for about an hour. Should mine be fine, he moves around so hes not dead, but should I expect him to be dead soon?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Yimmy
I just realized I made an oops. I got an urchin a week ago, a tuxedo, its fine right now and what not but I only acclimated mine for about an hour. Should mine be fine, he moves around so hes not dead, but should I expect him to be dead soon?
Tuxedo's are pretty hearty. Are his spines drooping? Acclimation shock can take several weeks. He might be alright though. Just keep everything in the tank stable and optimal. What is your SG?

yimmy

His spines aren't drooping, my sg is around 1.025-1.026, last i tested was a few days ago