Urchins..

sea goblin

I stole this comment from Bang Guy's response to my question on Urchins
"I have 6 L_a_c_u_n_t_e_r in my reef. They are a wonderful addition IMO. Just be careful about where you stick you hand"
Hope you dont mind Bang Guy:)
Sea Goblin

striker

Hello Grouperhead. Not sure which ones don't eat coraline but I have two long spined and they've been in my tank for over a year now. I have noticed them munching on some of my coraline but I still have plenty left. I've even heard that they spread coraline around. There hasn't been any impact on my benificial algae and see no harm in owning one. I prefer the look of tuxedo urhin personally.

clarkiiboi

I'm interested also, I only had the pencil urchins and they were horrible on my coraline (that's an understatement).... I'd love to find one that stays on the sand, or at least leaves the coraline alone....so I'm gonna follow this post. Sorry I couldn't help more, but you can cross those ones off the list at least.
Hopefully Bang will chime in, I never heard of that type, and give some info.

T

thomas712

I will eventually like to get a hold of a Blue Tuxedo Urchin, they at least, say that they are a low risk, or simi reef safe urchin. In other words at your own risk. They are truly a beautiful creature.
Thomas

sea goblin

OK guys, do a search for urchin ID, there arent very many of them on there, its about the fourth one down and it was started by me "sea Goblin". Read down through it, it has a picture in there of the kind that i have, and people talk about how they like them. They are the ones that i have in my tank and if you read the thread you will see that i stated that they dont bother my coraline algea. HTH
Sea Goblin

grouperhead

I'm still getting my coraline established, so I think I'll pass on an urchin for now. Hopefully if I get the coraline to spread like wildfire and grow everywhere, I'll add one. They sure are cool. Bo

bang guy

The Lacunter sp. definately eat coralline. For me, this means I need to scrape a lot of coralline of my glass every week. It seems that they aremessy eaters and spread the coralline ore than they eat it.