uscmizzy's 36 Gallon Bowfront update

Could I add 2 Blue Green Chromis?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

uscmizzy

Hey everybody just wanted to give an update on the tank and again thank everybody for the help!

Info:
36g
Marineland 200 power filter
Aquamaxx HOB 1 protein skimmer
40 lbs live rock
2 aqueon powerhead
1 p clown
1 blue tang (if you read my previous post you know the situation with her)
2 turbo snails.

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciate as to a next step. Not sure what to do next.

2016-08-07 15.27.23.jpg

lmforbis

Here is my opinion on chromis. Pretty fish but they are damsels and usually if you add more than one you will end up with only one so if you are going to get chromis just get one. The reason I have no chromis is the disease uronema marinum. I am just not willing to risk it. This is a parasite that is being seen frequently in the wholesale facilities. Chromis are particularly susceptible to. This is not a parasite that can be cleared from the tank with a fallow period like ich, velvet or Brook. This parasite does not need a host fish to survive. If it gets in your tank there is no way to get rid of it with out breaking down the tank. The Chromis should be quarantined with this in mind in order to kill the parasite before the fish goes into the display.
I'd go for something like a basselet or dart fish of some sort.

bang guy

I voted no. In my experience you can be successful with either 1 Chromis or more than 6 Chromis. Due to their hierarchy structure they need to constantly battle for the lead male role and the two lead female roles. If there are less than 7 Chromis one of the fish will get too much "attention" and will be constantly stressed until it's gone. Then the next fish in the chain will get the attention. With more than 6 fish the attention is spread out across multiple fish and the lower level fish get occasional breaks in attention to recover.