useing a trash can to hold water

skirrby

im thinking of buying some nice new trah cans and letting my ro/di unit fill them up and putting a bulkhead and ballvale on the bottom so i can get water from it easy. how well do normal rubbermaid trash cans hold water... should i get 2 and keep on inside of one for more support?

beaslbob

be very careful!!!!
support is an issue. trash cans are not designed to be full of water. and forget the ones with wheels. You are simply not going to wheel around 30 gallons of water (~280 pounds) in a trash can.
found out the hard way this weekend

skirrby

cool. its a plan then.. any clue how much a good size one is.. hoping to be able to store about 55-60 gallons of water

bang guy

I use 32 gallon Roughnecks for my surge. I can't imagine a more stressful use for them and they hold up just fine.

gatorcsm

I use the same.. Got them from home depot. I've used the thinner walled ones as well with no issue. I did the same with a float valve at the top to keep it full of fresh water.

javatech

look for the ones made for food contact it should have a NSF on the bottom in the Brute® ones i think it's the white, yellow and gray ones that are the best. i found mine at home depot and at sam's club and they do make a 55 gal one
Round Brute® Containers & Lids
Seamless, polyethylene construction won't dent, rust or leak. Reinforced rim and base. All colors are USDA approved for food contact and NSF tested/certified.55-Gallon Size
26-1/2 diameter x 33h. Containers cannot ship via UPS.
Container
Gray
Container Gray
http://www.rubbermaidproducts.com/Me...iners+%26+Lids