Useless facts.

scotts

Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.
Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.
American car horns beep in the tone of F.
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
1 in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.
You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.
The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.
The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache.
A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.
American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive from each salad served in first-class.
Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA."
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
The 57 on the Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.
The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin
The first owner of the Marlboro company died of lung cancer.
Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
Adolf Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.
The shortest poem in the world is, "Fleas"
There are only seven professional (MLB), (NHL), (NBA), (NFL) that do not end in "s" Colorado Avalanche, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, Orlando Magic, Miami Heat, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the Utah Jazz.
The children's song "Ring around the Rosy" originated in medieval Europe during the time of the Black Plague. Ring around the rosy refers to dark rings that appeared on the skin of infected people. Pocket full of posies refers to the belief that if rose petals were carried in one's pocket they would not be infected. Ashes to ashes refers to the burning of the corpses. And of course, we all fall down meant that everyone infected died.
The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."
What occurs more often in December than any other month? Conception.
Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what? Their birthplace. This is propinquity.
In 1982, Englishman William Hall committed suicide by drilling holes into his head with a power drill...it took 8 holes!
Human hair and finger nails continue to grow after death.
There is no single word given to describe the back of the knee.
Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of cotton.
The average American has two credits cards.
> The international telephone area code for Antarctica is 672.
The glue on postage stamps in Israel is certified kosher.
The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin in W.W.II killed the only elephant in the Berlin zoo.
A 'Jiffy' is actually a unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
On average, 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.
In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined.>
Reno, Nevada is west of Los Angeles, California.
The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
There are coffee flavored PEZ.
Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself. (How did they study this?)
"Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog" is a palindrome.
The Sun is moving l65 miles a second, the earth is moving l8.l miles a second, think about that when you are about to pee
The Atlantic Ocean is Saltier then the Pacific Ocean.
> In medieval England, beer was often served with breakfast. (I love this one)
The right lung takes in more air then the left
At 90 degrees (F) below zero your breath will freeze in midair and fall to the ground.
Research indicates that mosquitoes are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas. Only female mosquitoes bite.
There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on all the beaches in the world.
Men get hiccups more often than women.
Men can read smaller print than women; women can hear better than men.
The percentage of American men who say they would wed the same woman if they had to do it all over again: 80%. The percentage of women who say they would wed the same man if they had to do it all over again: 50%
Percentage of men who say the are happier after a divorce or separation: 58% Percentage of women who say they are happier after a divorce or separation: 85%
7% of Americans will eat McDonalds today.
The chances that a burglary in the US will be solved: 1 in 7.
Polar bears are left handed.
The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China.
Pilgrims ate popcorn at the first Thanksgiving.
Scientists say the average person eats about 2 pounds of bugs a year. That's mostly because insects accidentally get ground up in foods like peanut butter, strawberry jelly, and spaghetti sauce. They won't hurt you, they're actually full of protein.
If an insect flies in your ear, shine a light in you ear, chances are it will crawl or fly back out.
There are 240 white dots on a Pac-man video game.
According to Genesis 1:20-22, the chicken came before the egg.
"Race car" is a palindrome.
Debra Winger was the voice of E.T.
One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today is because cotton growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers -- they saw it as competition. It is not chemically addictive as is nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine.
Pearls melt in vinegar.
While performing her duties as queen, Cleopatra sometimes wore a fake beard.
The 3 most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.
The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." uses every letter in the alphabet. (Developed by ************* to Test telex/two communications
The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable."
"Go!" is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie." (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)
Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history. Spades - King David; Clubs - Alexander the Great; Hearts - Charlemagne; and Diamonds - Julius Caesar.
Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."
Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.
The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law that stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.>
The first toilet ever seen on television was on "Leave It To Beaver".
The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.
Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.
Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.
In Cleveland, Ohio, it's illegal to catch mice without a hunting license.
The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white.
If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.
Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits.
Every Swiss citizen is required by law to have a bomb shelter or access to a bomb shelter
Nine pennies weigh exactly one ounce.
Snails can sleep for 3 years without eating
Actor Tommy Lee Jones and vice-president Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard
Talk show host Montel Williams had a nose job.
By raising your legs slowly and laying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand.
The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.
Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."
James Doohan, who plays Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott on Star Trek, is missing the entire middle finger of his right hand.
The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.
On 15 April 1912 the SS Titanic sunk on her maiden voyage and over 1,500 people died. Fourteen years earlier a novel was published by Morgan Robertson which seemed to foretell the disaster. The book described a ship the same size as the Titanic which crashes into an iceberg on its maiden voyage on a misty April night. The name of Robertson's fictional ship was the Titan.
While at Harvard University, Edward Kennedy was suspended for cheating on a Spanish exam.

scotts

Lorne Greene had one of his nipples bitten off by an alligator while he was host of "Lorne Greene's Wild Kingdom."
The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player for automobiles. At that time the most known player on the market was the Victrola, so they called themselves Motorola.
Melanie Griffith's mother is actress Tippi Hendren, best known for her lead role in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.
142857 is a cyclic number, the numbers of which always appear in the same order but rotated around when multiplied by any number from 1 to 6. 142857 * 2 = 285714 142857 * 3 = 428571 142857 * 4 = 571428 142857 * 5 = 714285 142857 * 6 = 857142
U.S. Interstates which go north-south are numbered sequentially starting from the west with odd numbers, and Interstates which go east-west are numbered sequentially starting from the south with even numbers.

squidd

Originally posted by Reef_Magic
:eek:
lol, im gonna try that paper thing

Cool... I'm gonna try the one with the cat...:eek:

squidd

Originally posted by Reef_Magic
omg it's true! i even tried 4 different sizes of paper:notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:

It is true!!! And I tried four different cats...:nope:
:D

Originally posted by Wrassecal
Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin
eewwww! yuk! gross!
:eek:

It didn't kill you up until this point did it? LOL

wrassecal

Nope still breathin but barely:rolleyes:
Claim: The airplane that carried Buddy Holly to his death was named 'American Pie.'
Origins: Don McLean's recollection of the day (as a paperboy) he cut open a stack of newspapers to find that Buddy Holly had died led him to coin the term "the day the music died" to describe 3 February 1959: the date on which a plane crash took the lives of Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. Richardson (the "Big Bopper").
The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie." (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)
OK, I'm going to take this a few others like the dead skin thing and just think of them as urban legends....:D

scotts

I am such a geek that I actually knew some of these facts. I cannot guarantee that all are true, but I had heard about the cat thing. I have heard that if cats are given enough time the have a way to spread out their body and slow down their fall. How they know how to do that and do it with their instincts I have no idea.
Squidd, maybe you have to find a taller building. But I have a cat that you can use off of one of the lower floors. :D
Scott

squidd

Well that was seven cats...and I only made it to the seventh floor...
According to your "Useless Facts Post" This next batch should have better luck...:eek:
:D

lestregus

sorry, but hair and fingernails don't continue to grow after you die...the deceast's cuticles and scalp begins to recede giving us the illusion that they are growing. great post though!! where did you find all of that in 1 place??

cindyski

here are some more
1. Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking
you up in the morning.
2. Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a bellybutton.
3. A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately
2 teeth every 10 yrs.
4. People do not get sick from cold weather;
it's from being indoors a lot more.
5. When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop
even your heart!
6. Only 7 per cent of the population are lefties.
7. 40 people are sent to the hospital for dog bites
every minute.
8. Babies are born without knee caps.They don't
appear until they are 2-6 years old.
9. The average person over fifty will have spent
5 years waiting in lines.
10. The toothbrush was invented in 1498.
11. The average housefly lives for one month.
12. 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
13. A coat hanger is 44 inches long when straightened.
14. The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.
15. Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than the rest of the day.
16. Most of us have eaten a spider in our sleep.
17. The REAL reason an ostrich sticks its head in the sand
is to search for water.
18. The only 2 animals that can see behind themselves
without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.
19. John Travolta turned down the starring roles in
"An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Tootsie".
20. Michael Jackson owns the rights to the South
Carolina State anthem.
21. In most television commercials advertising milk,
a mixture of white paint and a little thinner is used
in place of the milk
22. Prince Charles and Prince William NEVER travel
on the same airplane just in case there is a crash.
23. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903
used a tomato can for a carburetor.
24. Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical
cords cut from women who give birth. They are
reused in vein transplant surgery.
25. Humphrey Bogart was related to Princess Diana.
They were 7th cousins.
26. If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would
be green.

scotts

Originally posted by CindySki
here are some more
2. Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a bellybutton.

My daughter doesn't have a belly button.
Scott

scotts

RM, The skin around here belly did not close up in the womb. I knew there was a prblem when I heard all of the doctors to call Dr. Hansen. She spent the first 30 days of her life in the hospital. Long story short, after 3 surgeries she is now fine.
When she was born she was transported to another hospital. I actually passed the ambulance and I remember thinking my daughter is in there. Felt great that I had a daughter. Then I realized that my daughter was in an ambulance. Such in intense high and low at the same time.
Gee, get me behind a keyboard and I turn into a wordy SOB.
Scott

D

daniel411

Originally posted by Squidd
Three more cats...same result...:nope:

:D :nervous:
Originally posted by Scotts

She spent the first 30 days of her life in the hospital. Long story short, after 3 surgeries she is now fine.

Wow. I can't imagine what that would have been like to go through. Glad everything is fine now