Useless facts.

T

tizzo

You stole my word!!! I KNEW I shoulda had it copyrighted!!! That it, I'm going to the patend office tomorrow and after that, every time you use it, you will have to send me 10 cents!!!:D
Twenty years... that's MY word.

nm reef

Strange but true...we can be tickled...but we can't tickle ourselves.... try it....just another of those things that make you go.....Hmmmmmmmm

belothsurf

Originally posted by CindySki
here are some more
16. Most of us have eaten a spider in our sleep.
I'm sorry, but I absolutely refuse to believe this.....no way...nope......nada...ehh-ehh.....not me.......
:nope:

fishman830

Originally posted by NM reef
Strange but true...we can be tickled...but we can't tickle ourselves.... try it....just another of those things that make you go.....Hmmmmmmmm

that's a good one.. i wonder why!

fender

Not so sure about the spider thing....
Claim: The average person swallows eight spiders per year.
Origins: Oh, yuk!
It's hard enough to avoid those horrible wriggly things while we're awake, and now we have to worry that they're crawling into our mouths while we sleep? Little Miss Muffett was a piker.
Fear not. This "statistic" was not only made up out of whole cloth, it was invented as an example of the absurd things people will believe simply because they come across them on the Internet.
In a 1993 PC Professional article, columnist Lisa Holst wrote about the ubiquitous lists of "facts" that were circulating via e-mail and how readily they were accepted as truthful by gullible recipients. To demonstrate her point, Holst offered her own made-up list of equally ridiculous "facts," among which was the statistic cited above about the average person's swallowing eight spiders per year, which she took from a collection of common misbeliefs printed in a 1954 book on insect folklore. In a delicious irony, Holst's propagation of this false "fact" has spurred it into becoming one of the most widely-circulated bits of misinformation to be found on the Internet.
From http://www.snopes.com

fender

The children's song "Ring around the Rosy" originated in medieval Europe during the time of the Black Plague. Ring around the rosy refers to dark rings that appeared on the skin of infected people. Pocket full of posies refers to the belief that if rose petals were carried in one's pocket they would not be infected. Ashes to ashes refers to the burning of the corpses. And of course, we all fall down meant that everyone infected died.

Sorry this is false too...
http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.htm
Another one (this is kinda iffy)
The 57 on the Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/heinz57.asp
Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.
Hmmm. True but a little misleading.
http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/documen...n/signers.html
http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=old&doc=2

fender

The first owner of the Marlboro company died of lung cancer.

First of all, there is no “Marlboro company.” If you mean Philip Morris Companies Inc., maker of Marlboro cigarettes, that company was founded by, oddly enough, Philip Morris, Esq., “a tobacconist and importer of fine cigars,” according to the company's web site.
Beyond that, very little is known about Philip Morris, Esq. He died in 1873 but the cause of death is not mentioned in biographies available online. Lung cancer was known about as early as the mid-1800's, so it is possible the claim is true.
Two actors who portrayed the “Marlboro Man” in the cigarette advertisements died of lung cancer.
Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
According to Barbie Collectibles, a web site run by Mattel Inc., not only is Barbie's full name “Barbie Millicent Roberts,” but the name is a registered trademark.
According to the site, Barbie was named after the daughter of Mattel co-founder Ruth Handler.
Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
According to a September 2000 article in the U.K. newspaper The Guardian, “Nike paid Michael Jordan more in 1992 for endorsing its trainers ($20 million) than the company paid its entire 30,000-strong Indonesian workforce for making them.”
According to a 1999 news release, Nike does have a factory in Malaysia. In a 1995 speech, Ohio Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur said Nike pays laborers in China 30 cents an hour. Assuming they worked eight hours per day, five days a week, 50 weeks a year, that would cost Nike $18 million.
However, workers in third-world nations probably have a less-cushy schedule. If they actually worked ten hours a day, which is more realistic, that would total $23.4 million per year and slam dunk Jordan's salary.
Adolf Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.
The Hitler Historical Museum promotes itself as a non-biased, non-profit educational museum that refrains from making political judgements of any sort. Hitler himself does not mention this story in Mein Kampf or any other writings available from the museum. The story is not mentioned in any online biographical materials from a variety of sources, and it's safe to say Hitler's life has been thoroughly researched.
Curiously, the story does not show up in any abortion rhetoric (by either side).
According to The History Place, Adolf Hitler was born in Austria in 1889. His mother, Klara, had previously given birth to two boys and one girl, all of whom had died. We can speculate either way if this would lead Klara to consider having an abortion, but no hard data on it exists. Historians do agree that Hitler's mother lavished affection on him.
I don't have the time to check the other "facts".
Not trying to rain on anyones parade, I just like to check things out a little.

fender

The three most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.
False
The information is outdated. As of July 17, 2000, Interbrand/Citibank — as reported in the Financial Times — declared these the most valuable brand names:
#1 Coca-Cola ($72.5 billion)
#2 Microsoft ($70.2 billion)
#3 IBM ($53.2 billion)
Marlboro had wafted down to #11. Budweiser's ranking had gone flat at #26.

fender

ok so I have too much time on my hands.
The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.
Not quite
It was the first product to be scanned, but not the first product to have a bar code.
According to various sources, including the Business Journal in Dayton, Ohio, home of the Uniform Code Council, on June 26, 1974, the first product ever scanned in a retail setting was a 10-pack of Wrigley's gum. It was moved across an NCR scanner in the checkout lane at Marsh's Supermarket in Troy, Ohio.
The pack of gum, now on display at the Smithsonian Institution, just happened to be the first item lifted from the cart of the shopper. The Uniform Code Council assigns bar codes, also known as UPC symbols.
The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache.
Yes
According to The University of Manchester in the United Kingdom, the King of Hearts did originally have a moustache but it was lost by poor copying of the original design between 1567 and 1750. “These designs... were soon disfigured by uninformed and unskilled copying by block makers, particularly by incompetent English artisans, who produced the grotesque distortions from which our modern cards are ultimately descended.”
The Jack of Spades, incidentally, gained a moustache for the same reason. And obviously, we're assuming the reference is to English playing cards.
A Boeing 747s wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.
Yes
According to Orville Wright, “A sudden dart when a little over a hundred feet from the end of the track, or a little over 120 feet from the point at which it rose into the air” ended the first manned flight in history on December 17, 1903.
According to Boeing, the wingspan of their smallest 747, the 747-400, is 211 feet.
American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive from each salad served in first-class.
Amazingly, yes
Reached by telephone, American Airlines spokesperson Al Becker confirms this claim.
Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
Not necessarily
The rotation of Venus is retrograde, or clockwise when viewed from above its north pole. This, of course, is opposite of the earth's rotation and almost every other planet in our solar system. There is some debate among astronomers over Uranus, which would give it a retrograde rotation as well. According to an astronomy site sponsored by The University of Arizona, the battle is over which of Uranus' poles is its north pole.
The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen's “Born in the USA.”
Probably not
The Boss's Born In The U.S.A. was the first compact disk that was available in the U.S. This is still being researched, but the first CD manufactured in the U.S. was (probably) a promotional CD called “The Edison CD Sampler.” This is according to The CD Depot. However, a more substantial source is forthcoming.
The first CD ever released to the public was Billy Joel's 52nd Street in Japan in October 1982. CDs were not introduced to the U.S. until March 1983.
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
Yes
The Michigan Department of Agriculture says, “Apples are more efficient than caffeine in keeping people awake in the morning. The sugar in apples, and the act of chewing, works better than a cup of coffee for keeping people alert.”
The 57 on the Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.
No
At Heinz World, the story unfolds like this:
“In 1896, Henry John Heinz noticed an advertisement for '21 styles of shoes.' He decided that his own products were not styles, but varieties. Although there were many more than 57 foods in production at the time, because the numbers '5' and '7' held a special significance for him and his wife, he adopted the slogan '57 Varieties.'”
(this is different than the article on snopes.....)
The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
Close enough
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines aglet as “a tag or metal sheath on the end of a lace, cord, or ribbon to facilitate its passing through eyelet holes” or “a metal sheath over the end of a shoelace or ribbon.”
Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.
No
An article on airborne allergens by The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, quoted by WebMD, itemizes the contents of house dust as: fibers from different types of fabrics, cotton lint, feathers, other stuffing materials, animal dander, bacteria, mold and fungus spores, food particles, bits of plants and insects, and microscopic mites.

fender

Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
Mostly true
There's plenty of evidence that a toilet flush will propel germs into the air. The Clorox Company says germs can be spread “around your bathroom – on your sink, towels, even your toothbrush.”
But who exactly are these dentists, and why six feet? No sources on toothbrush hygiene, including the American Dental Association, go on record with a specific distance.
The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.
Amazingly, yes
According to multiple sites, including what appears to be the official web site on coconuts, in an emergency, the liquid inside a young coconut can be used as a substitute for blood plasma. It was done during World War II when blood supplies were low.
American car horns beep in the tone of F.
Unknown
Still being researched.
No piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times.
No
The claim is based on the mathematical concept of geometrical progression. On the seventh fold, there are 128 sheets (two on the first, four on the second, eight on the third, 16 on the fourth, 32 on the fifth, 64 on the sixth, 128 on the seventh). That would certainly be difficult to fold, but not impossible.
One source claims to have folded a thin piece of plastic more than seven times. Another source says it's mathematically impossible to fold more than nine times.
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
Probably not
There is no organization that keeps track of deaths per year by donkeys. Even the World Heath Organization, with its sophisticated mortality tables, does not quantify “death by donkey.” To make such a claim you would have to know how many people are killed each year by donkeys, and that figure is not available.
According to The National Transportation Safety Board, there were 62 fatalities in 1999 in airline accidents (including commuter airlines and air taxis) and 628 general aviation fatalities. Not even counting aviation fatalities worldwide that the NTSB does not investigate, you would have to document more than 690 donkey-related deaths to prove they are more dangerous.
1 in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.
Maybe
This is probably based on a poll somewhere in which 25% of a sample group — statistically representative of the entire United States — said they had appeared on tv. (And this does appear to be a common survey question.)
The claim is that approximately 68 million U.S. citizens have appeared on television. According to the FCC, there were 3,810 licensed TV stations as of September 30, 1999. This includes UHF, VHF, commercial, educational, and low-power. So, on average, 17,848 people have appeared on each station. If a station has been on the air for ten years, it would only have to put five new people on tv every day to support this claim.
You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
No
According to MSNBC, which quotes as sources the American Heart Association and Johns Hopkins University, a 150-pound person burns 71 calories watching tv for an hour, and 64 calories sleeping for an hour. Even at eight hours, sleeping burns fewer calories.
Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.
Not always
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the White Oak generally starts producing acorns at age 50. However, on good sites, it may produce seed as early as 20 years of age. The Northern Red Oak first bears fruit at age 25 or as early as 10 years on favorable sites. Seed production on the Chestnut Oak begins when the tree is about 20 years old. The Canyon Live Oak first flowers between 15 and 20 years of age. The California Black Oak, beginning at age 30.

W

weeder

nm,
thats not true. i have a very hard time scratching the bottoms of my feet. it tickles too much.

T

tizzo

Fender... You shall be deemed "overanalyzer2"
But since you've researched...
TELL THEM THAT KNEE-PIT IS MY WORD!!! Go ahead, tell them!!!

fishking

Originally posted by black99l
my favorite:
it is impossible to lick your own elbow
try it!!! i did

oh s*** it is true

aidos

Bulls can run faster uphill than downhill
if they run downhill to fast their front legs will snap

badkharma

Originally posted by NM reef

Wrong, at least for me. My feet are pretty ticklish, as are my ribs. I successfully tickled myself. I can also tickle the roof of my mouth with the tip of my tongue.

sammystingray

Via ask Earl........
The squishy part of the back of your knee (the one that's sometimes ticklish), is actually called...get ready...the Oblique Popliteal Ligament. It's a mouthful, I know, but unfortunately I couldn't find a common name for the back of your knee...maybe a knee-pit?