ushio or phoenix?

mopar9012

My 36 inch sunpod is comning in and Im trying to see which bulbs I get.
LFS told me ushio would kick phoenix out of the water...I have no expierence with ushio but I like my phoenix when I had my retro kit over my 29.

andezzzy

Originally Posted by mopar9012
http:///forum/post/3073839
My 36 inch sunpod is comning in and Im trying to see which bulbs I get.
LFS told me ushio would kick phoenix out of the water...I have no expierence with ushio but I like my phoenix when I had my retro kit over my 29.
IMO i'd go with phoenix. I have 2 of em and they look outstanding. I have them with 2 super actinic t5 bulbs and my corals really stand out. Yah can't complain about the price either. Excellent bulb for an excellent price.

gm357

I've heard good things about phoenix, but I can't imagine anything out growing the(my) ushio 10,000k. It has a very nice crisp white shimmering look. Just my 2 cents

meowzer

I have only had 2 types of MH...the Hamilton 10,000 K and the Ushio10k
Out of those 2, I like the brightness of the Ushio....HOPEFULLY I will not need new lights now for 6 more months...and if I go with the white...I will go Ushio....IDK if I want to try 14k or 20K...

spanko

Yes usually the 20k are darker blue, (the higher the kelvin rating the darker the blue) but I found comparing the 14 Phoenix and the 20k Radium, the Radium was a brighter blue.

aquaguy24

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3073861
Radium 20k FTW!
hey spanko, is radium sending u free bulbs yet.
. anywho, i have the pheonix 14k..i like it but i have to supplement with actinics to get more of that blue tint...but even in light bulbs the germans and japanese are competing..

jackri

It's all personal preference. I really like my 14k phoenix bulbs (found them for 55 each for 250w bulbs) but I've seen 400w 20k ushio's and like those as well.
Either way you can't go wrong -- just personal preference.

spanko

Probably good to mention here that lower kelvin bulbs spur growth.
Higher kelvin bulbs will help to color up coral.
Just FYI stuff.