***** Using Cyanide?!

knutrainer

Not all petcos use the same supplier. And as knowledable people go it all depends on the store. I have only had a tank for
4 weeks now. The day after I got the tank I wanted to put fish in and he explained to me it needed to be cycled and that I should wait, and all this other good stuff. So a week after my tank cycled I put a couple clowns in. So not every one out there is out to get you. But he did tell me the supplier and it wasnt the one listed above, cant remember the name now. But that wasn't it. But yea since Ive started I havnt stopped reading. Also since I have a small tank(28g) he recommended that I dont buy that tang I was eyeing.

viper_930

thud, how do you know which fish were caught with cyanide vs. net caught? The only way to know would be to buy MAC certified fish, and even that is questionable.

xdave

Buy fish from Hawaii or Australia, they are never blast or chemically caught. You want look for the following terms; tank bred, reared, or raised, aquacultured, or, sustainably harvested. Most places that carry such things will proudly and predominately display that fact. If they don't, ask the owner. If it's a business licensed in America it's against the law to lie about it. If they say they don't know, assume they're chemically caught.
Chain stores may not own their own collection stations or distributors, but they do have the power to decide which ones to buy from.

xdave

BTW, I wouldn't worry about poison destroying the reef if you're buying live rock that isn't cultured, there wont be anywhere left for the reef inhabitants to live anyway.

anthropo

if you want to know if ***** is using cyanide caught fish then this is the wholesaler that they get their fish from. by the way you can not buy from the wholesaler directly. it is meant just for businesses only. www.segrestfarms.com

addicted2

it amazes me how "*****" get such a bad rap. I can only speak from experience, but I don't think that ***** is any worse than over half the fish stores I have been in. (and I pretty much stop at any and every one I happen to pass.) it's the addiction talking there...*L* but seriously... Very few stores I have been in have been any better. I think it is a no brainer..if the fish look bad...don't buy em. if the salespeople talk through their back end...don't shop there or at least know what you're doing..simple as that. I personally have a couple fish from ***** that looked healthy when I bought em..and 1 1/2 years later..they are still surfin the waves in my tank. :happyfish :happyfish It's a matter of common sense and responsibility. RESEARCH before you buy. then you know where and what and how..to buy. It's like anywhere else..you have people who are working where they work by choice and preference...and others who work where they work because of neccessity and lack for other opportunity. *stepping down from my soap box* (hope I didn't offend anyone)
can you tell I am on my 4th cup?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Catawaba
Boycott any company or LFS or website that supports cyanide use!
Do any actually support cyanide use? I doubt it.