UV sterilizers - Your Opinions Please

shyfish

I was doing some reading.
1. UV sterilizers can destroy ich in the free swimming stage.
2. It can be turned off at night to save the night creatures that are benificial that float in the night water.
3.It will stop hair algea from spreading.
Now mind you I was reading an advertisment. So whats the real scoop?

keith burn

it is a 50/50 for me it kills good and bad i run one on my q/a tank and i run it on my dt after a big tank cleaning only.imo not a help for ich in a tank the %in the water in low to the % in the sand and the l/r.

nycbob

imo, if u hv icks in ur tank, it does help with getting rid of it if u run it along having cleaner shrimp.

bang guy

1. If you get the flow rate slow enough (quite slow) then UV will kill any Cryptocaryon theronts that swim though. Yes it will kill them. I don't believe very many will actually make the trip though.
2. Yep, a timer will work for this.
3. Yes, it will reduce hair algae and Diatoms, mostly Diatoms though. This isn't a good thing if you have filter feeders like clams & feather dusters but it will reduce the number of snails you need to keep the glass clean.

shyfish

I have four feather dusters, 2 are coco worms. I know this sounds odd but they are my favorites. If I were to get a UV sterilizer, could I turn it off for a few hours to allow my feather dusters to feed, if I feed the tank with the UV off?
How long does it take a feather duster to feed?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Shyfish
http:///forum/post/2971949
I have four feather dusters, 2 are coco worms. I know this sounds odd but they are my favorites. If I were to get a UV sterilizer, could I turn it off for a few hours to allow my feather dusters to feed, if I feed the tank with the UV off?
How long does it take a feather duster to feed?

I don't remember (maybe someone can remind me) but I think Coco Worms filter out waterborn cilliates and other microscopic zooplankton and not phytoplankton. Either way a UV is going to reduce the amount of food available every time you turn it on. Coco Worms are difficult enough to keep fed, IMO a UV will increase the odds of starvation.
Feather dusters feed 24/7.

king_neptune

Pro- They kill bad stuff
Con- they kill good stuff
Solution- get something that kills just bad stuff, and leaves good stuff.
I will never own a UV sterilizer. I have read too much negative to outweigh the positive.