Venomous Foxface??

ok so we will be getting a foxface for our tank soon, i previously knew they were poisonous, but i was doing some research on the sting. i read it is incredibly painful, and it is 100 times stronger than a bee sting. i am really worried about getting this fish...if you have a foxface can you share some of your experiences both +/-. i told the guy to consider it sold and the price was great. i am just scared... i need advice!thanks
~Dex

bla403

Had one for almost a year and hand fed it... never had an issue. From my experience, as long as you dont grab the fish your fine. Also - He was an eating machine. Got rid of him a couple weeks ago since he outgrew my tank.

scubachris

Ive had one for just about 2 years. I have had my arms in the tank doing all kinds of things, and he has never even attempted to sting me. Dont worry about them, they are great fish. Just dont try and catch it with you bare hands and you will be fine.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Fish Freak2012
http:///forum/post/3273482
ok so we will be getting a foxface for our tank soon, i previously knew they were poisonous, but i was doing some research on the sting. i read it is incredibly painful, and it is 100 times stronger than a bee sting. i am really worried about getting this fish...if you have a foxface can you share some of your experiences both +/-. i told the guy to consider it sold and the price was great. i am just scared... i need advice!thanks
~Dex
They're not poisonous only venomous. It's not 100 times worse than a bee sting IMO, it's about the same as a Honeybee. They are not going to actively try to sting like a Lionfish will, they spread their spines when they feel threatened but will not move toward the threat.

bla403

Mine used to put his spines up alot but had no intentions of stinging me or anythign around him. Honestly I thought he was either tring to show off or just stretching.

vsecret

I have had mine for 2 years and I have never had a problem. My foxface whenever my hands would go in the tank would go to the back corner put up his spikes and lose all of his color. He was a little wimp, hehe. So much personality though!! I would get it if I were you, you won't regret it.
However, at least with mine (I'm on my second) it took them a few days before they'd come out. and for a few days I couldn't even walk in the room without him getting scared and hiding. hehe

cranberry

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3273572
They're not poisonous only venomous. It's not 100 times worse than a bee sting IMO, it's about the same as a Honeybee. They are not going to actively try to sting like a Lionfish will, they spread their spines when they feel threatened but will not move toward the threat.
Lions don't actively try to sting either.... both use their "stings" in the same manner which is primarily a defense mechanism.
The damage can be more than a beesting. The owner of the LFS has a big knot/scare where he got stung from one about 10 years ago. Depends on how hard you get hit whether it's similar to a bee or scorpion, the age/size of the fish and if any infection set in after.
We has a foxface for close to 10 years. You just have to watch out for them when cleaning the tank. If you startle one, and he's under your hand... you'll get stuck. It's important to give them a good size tank so you don't have to worry about cramped quarters when cleaning. Super friendly fish... they don't mean you any harm.

mell

That's plenty of room, and you'll love him! I absolutely love my foxy! And I get tons of compliments on him, especially cool looking though when he puts his spikes up!