VERY DISAPPOINTED!!

indy2009

I first purchased from SWF prior to joining the forum, I'am just amazed with some of the members (veterans) rudeness and disrespect towards other members, a few members on this forum should of been banned months ago, treating new members like they are just "idiots" Maybe they didn't think or see the "Topics" at the beginning of the subtitle but give them the benefit of doubt..I've seen members give "newbies" horrible advice..and just down right "RUDE" just remember we were all new at this at one time..Don't get me wrong "MOST" give useful and awesome advice even I've learned new things..But I'm sure when someone joins they are in need of a quick answer and sometimes don't think before they start a thread..but don't disrespect them..Just remember we were all there at one point!!
I personally don't think your moderators are doing what they are assigned to do..So Scott maybe you should clean house and start over..I've always been a loyal customer throughout the years, but if I continue to see disrespect and rudeness I will take my business else where...

S

smartorl

Um, sir/mam, how about you show some examples of the horrible miscarriage of justice that you see going on here rather than broad generalizations?
Also, these issues of members giving horrible, incorrect advice. This isn't an "expert only" forum, there are members here from several countries, all ages, and all degrees of knowledge. Given that is the demographic, well, sometimes, the advice offered isn't always correct, older members and mods do their best to stay on top of that, this is the typical learning process why people do join a forum. I guess you could say it would be really "rude" to ban anyone with less than expert knowledge to avoid this happening.
The members of this forum are individuals, each with their own brain, while this is SWF's board, they don't control how individuals act, think, react. They do moderate within the forum rules.
If this doesn't help, perhaps you should join the "Kum ba ya" forum where peace, love, and kindness is simply a way of life.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343613
Um, sir/mam, how about you show some examples of the horrible miscarriage of justice that you see going on here rather than broad generalizations?
Also, these issues of members giving horrible, incorrect advice. This isn't an "expert only" forum, there are members here from several countries, all ages, and all degrees of knowledge. Given that is the demographic, well, sometimes, the advice offered isn't always correct, older members and mods do their best to stay on top of that, this is the typical learning process why people do join a forum. I guess you could say it would be really "rude" to ban anyone with less than expert knowledge to avoid this happening.
The members of this forum are individuals, each with their own brain, while this is SWF's board, they don't control how individuals act, think, react. They do moderate within the forum rules.
If this doesn't help, perhaps you should join the "Kum ba ya" forum where peace, love, and kindness is simply a way of life.

You sound so angry...maybe that's what the OP is talking about. Maybe we come off meaner than we intend. Someone has hurt feelings and we need to find out what went on, so I agree we need more detailed info.
There is always bad advice, in the middle advice and just pure silly making a joke of it all advice. I don't think we have any real experts on here, we look stuff up and help each other or tell them what we have done over the years.

meowzer

Well I'm not angry...LOL....But sure would like an example of what you are referring to Indy.....I read quite a few posts, and have seen the horrors that you speak of
feel free to pm me and let me know what you are seeing.....:)

btldreef

I, too, would like to see some actual threads that you are referring to instead of broad generalizations. Remember, over a forum, expressions can be misconstrued. Have you PM'd any moderators, I certainly have no received anything. Have you red flagged any of the posts that you feel are rude? Did you message SWF first about this, or are you just throwing it out on the forum? As a moderator, I can tell you that I can't read every single thread on the board, nor can anyone else and we need the help of the people on this forum to PM us or red flag issues they see so that they may be addressed.
While there is definitely a wrong way to do things in this hobby, there is no set one right way to do things in this hobby, so you'll see different opinions and advice given, especially between older and younger members. For example, I'd never cycle a tank with damsels, but many older members on this forum and others tend to do this as it was once the "right" way to cycle a tank.
From what I have seen, new members are usually told to go read through the New Hobbyists forum and then post questions as needed. I'd say 90% of the time, the new hobbyists don't even look there before they post a thread and it is a simple oversight, so many people will stear them in that direction. IMO, if we just spit out the information all the time, without asking a hobbyist to do any research, they'll probably never learn.
I, for one, am not going to ban someone simply because I disagree with the advice they might give. People are entitled to their own opinions and what works for one person may not work for the next. If I see someone being outright rude, yes, they will be warned, but again, writing is much different than the spoken word and everyone can perceive things differently on a forum than if we were face to face having a conversation.

scott t

Personally I think this is one of the best and most friendliest forums that I have found. When I first started thinking about setting up a SWF tank I had visited many other forums and was very put off by them. There was one that I went on and asked the simplest of questions, and the reply from many of the people there was, "I don't have time to sit and teach someone who is green to the hobby". So I kept searching and searching until I could find a forum that I could call home. That I could get answers to the most simple questions, where people were willing to help you, give you good honest advice, and willing to go the extra mile. I have found this at SWF. com Forum. Granted that some may come off gruff here, they may also "flame" people now and again, but when they do its for a good reason. I don't think they do just because they get their kicks out of "flaming" people its because they are passionate about the hobby and want the Newbs to do things that is not going to deter them from staying in the hobby. Everyone has their own way of interpreting what someone is trying to say. I for one can tell you that I have gotten much great, useful, and honest advice. I can tell you that if I had not found the SWF forums I would not have had the knowledge, the courage, and the know how to set up and maintain a SWF tank. I think this is the BEST forum there is, if it was not I would not have stayed here for the last 16 months.
JUST MY .02

F

fishhugger

I too have seen what Indy has been talking about....I could make a list of incidents, albeit a short list.
Some comments just kind of make me cringe (not in anger, but more in an 'wow they said that?' kind of way. I just tend to stay out of harms way.
Like I said it's not too often, and I think most of us can figure out where it is generally happening. Granted, the internet cannot portray our tones and we have to remember that and reread our posts before we actually hit the 'post reply' button.
I don't expect everyone to be a model like me =D (jk), but I do always reread my post to make sure I have everything typed as clearly and understandably as I can, and then spell check it. If I find a mistake I fix it and go through the process again...lather, rinse, and repeat until I like the way it sounds. Although I do that more in a grammatical way, I think we should all check to see if our messages could possibly come off the wrong way.
I only have one more thing to mention. Is that to call someone out for listening to a LFS advice is like calling out a mechanically inept person for listening to the advice of a second-hand mechanic who is looking to make a buck. (pardon the analogy, but it was the only thing I could thing of that describes how I feel about it)
Obviously they may have no experience in SWF keeping, BUT, they are going to a place where the employee's/owner SHOULD and are EXPECTED to know what to do and give good advice. And of course everyone is weary of buying suggested expensive equipment, because it's always suspicious when someone recommends you buy the most expensive product, and they happen to be selling it. Which is why we should understand that when someone does not know the harm that ammonia can actually do to a fish, and they are told to cycle with extremely CHEAP damsels that it is SO believable to the person who is being told that. They are being told that by a person who has successfully kept a shop full of SWF, and who is not telling them to start off with a $100 angel.
When someone puts a damsel in to cycle a tank, its not necessarily because of their own ignorance.
On a final note, I don't really see this much at all. But, when I first joined back in 05 it was absolutely....just unsettling....the amount of scolding towards one another about yellow tangs in 55's, juvenile tangs in 40's and under....cycling with damsels, keeping baby sharks.....it seemed like the board was dominated by PETA.
Anyways that's all I got....peace v -_- v

indy2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHugger http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343682
I too have seen what Indy has been talking about....I could make a list of incidents, albeit a short list.
Some comments just kind of make me cringe (not in anger, but more in an 'wow they said that?' kind of way. I just tend to stay out of harms way.
Like I said it's not too often, and I think most of us can figure out where it is generally happening. Granted, the internet cannot portray our tones and we have to remember that and reread our posts before we actually hit the 'post reply' button.
I don't expect everyone to be a model like me =D (jk), but I do always reread my post to make sure I have everything typed as clearly and understandably as I can, and then spell check it. If I find a mistake I fix it and go through the process again...lather, rinse, and repeat until I like the way it sounds. Although I do that more in a grammatical way, I think we should all check to see if our messages could possibly come off the wrong way.
I only have one more thing to mention. Is that to call someone out for listening to a LFS advice is like calling out a mechanically inept person for listening to the advice of a second-hand mechanic who is looking to make a buck. (pardon the analogy, but it was the only thing I could thing of that describes how I feel about it)
Obviously they may have no experience in SWF keeping, BUT, they are going to a place where the employee's/owner SHOULD and are EXPECTED to know what to do and give good advice. And of course everyone is weary of buying suggested expensive equipment, because it's always suspicious when someone recommends you buy the most expensive product, and they happen to be selling it. Which is why we should understand that when someone does not know the harm that ammonia can actually do to a fish, and they are told to cycle with extremely CHEAP damsels that it is SO believable to the person who is being told that. They are being told that by a person who has successfully kept a shop full of SWF, and who is not telling them to start off with a $100 angel.
When someone puts a damsel in to cycle a tank, its not necessarily because of their own ignorance.
On a final note, I don't really see this much at all. But, when I first joined back in 05 it was absolutely....just unsettling....the amount of scolding towards one another about yellow tangs in 55's, juvenile tangs in 40's and under....cycling with damsels, keeping baby sharks.....it seemed like the board was dominated by PETA.
Anyways that's all I got....peace v -_- v
Thank you Fishhugger..As he stated a "Small List" To be exact I read 3 post from 3 different members last night, I read them over 3 times to make sure I was not misunderstanding/missing something..Rude..I will not post the members names in this post, If Scott would like this information I will only forward them to him and not the Moderators or any other member here..and in response to smartorl, why so angry? Could you possibly be 1 of 3 I have mentioned? My point was not about giving "bad advise" it was about members being "rude and disrespectful" to other members

deejeff442

puleese,this place is as friendly as it gets.difference in opinion will always get harsh.i remember when i would see name calling here.that is long gone.you have people from all over with different levels of what would be considered rude.i moved to texas from NY .when i visit there it is a whole different world of bluntness.something you just have to get used to compared to here.as for the lfs thing it has always been and will be a sore subject here.i remember the tang police ,wonder if he retired?so you will always get a bad comment here and there but overall this is a great place.
if some little things get under your skin either get thicker skin or bu bye.i havent seen anything out of hand here lately.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2009 http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343692
Thank you Fishhugger..As he stated a "Small List" To be exact I read 3 post from 3 different members last night, I read them over 3 times to make sure I was not misunderstanding/missing something..Rude..I will not post the members names in this post, If Scott would like this information I will only forward them to him and not the Moderators or any other member here..and in response to smartorl, why so angry? Could you possibly be 1 of 3 I have mentioned? My point was not about giving "bad advise" it was about members being "rude and disrespectful" to other members
That's ridiculous......that's what we are here for....UNLESS...you have a problem with us....oh well....I have read and re-read some posts.....I can not find anything

1snapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343659
Personally I think this is one of the best and most friendliest forums that I have found
. When I first started thinking about setting up a SWF tank I had visited many other forums and was very put off by them. There was one that I went on and asked the simplest of questions, and the reply from many of the people there was, "I don't have time to sit and teach someone who is green to the hobby". So I kept searching and searching until I could find a forum that I could call home. That I could get answers to the most simple questions, where people were willing to help you, give you good honest advice, and willing to go the extra mile. I have found this at SWF. com Forum. Granted that some may come off gruff here, they may also "flame" people now and again, but when they do its for a good reason. I don't think they do just because they get their kicks out of "flaming" people its because they are passionate about the hobby and want the Newbs to do things that is not going to deter them from staying in the hobby. Everyone has their own way of interpreting what someone is trying to say. I for one can tell you that I have gotten much great, useful, and honest advice. I can tell you that if I had not found the SWF forums I would not have had the knowledge, the courage, and the know how to set up and maintain a SWF tank. I think this is the BEST forum there is, if it was not I would not have stayed here for the last 16 months.
JUST MY .02
I completely agree, i haven't read the whole thread because post get to long and i can't read them fast enough so I stole scotts

1snapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343641
I, too, would like to see some actual threads that you are referring to instead of broad generalizations. Remember, over a forum, expressions can be misconstrued. Have you PM'd any moderators, I certainly have no received anything. Have you red flagged any of the posts that you feel are rude? Did you message SWF first about this, or are you just throwing it out on the forum? As a moderator, I can tell you that I can't read every single thread on the board, nor can anyone else
and we need the help of the people on this forum to PM us or red flag issues they see so that they may be addressed.
While there is definitely a wrong way to do things in this hobby, there is no set one right way to do things in this hobby, so you'll see different opinions and advice given, especially between older and younger members. For example, I'd never cycle a tank with damsels, but many older members on this forum and others tend to do this as it was once the "right" way to cycle a tank.
From what I have seen, new members are usually told to go read through the New Hobbyists forum and then post questions as needed. I'd say 90% of the time, the new hobbyists don't even look there before they post a thread and it is a simple oversight, so many people will stear them in that direction. IMO, if we just spit out the information all the time, without asking a hobbyist to do any research, they'll probably never learn.
I, for one, am not going to ban someone simply because I disagree with the advice they might give. People are entitled to their own opinions and what works for one person may not work for the next. If I see someone being outright rude, yes, they will be warned, but again, writing is much different than the spoken word and everyone can perceive things differently on a forum than if we were face to face having a conversation.
I am not so sure BTLD. meowzer gets around pretty good. im sure she has read at least 80% of all the posts sense she has been a moderator

S

smartorl

I think I see the problem, some people are a wee bit confused..........
If you see my post as angry, which was typed totally tongue in cheek, um, sir/mam, hello, then you alot of the humor amongst members probably goes over your head as well.
Indy, no, I am not feeling like I could be one of the three, as I haven't really posted here in almost a month except to update status on my clam diary, really, please stop beating around the bush, man up and put it out there. He said, she said, without ponying up the actual facts is more than annoying.
As far as Scott, please, I have never had an issue, he is entitled to an opinion as are you. He really owes you no apologies or explanations unless he cares to. He is an active member who contributes to the forum. How often do you post or contribute?
Edit: I thought recommending the "Kum ba ya" rather than the "crybaby" forum sounded friendlier ;0.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343701
I think I see the problem, some people are a wee bit confused..........
If you see my post as angry, which was type totally tongue in cheek, um, sir/mam, hello, then you alot of the humor amongst members probably goes over your head as well.
Indy, no, I am not feeling like I could be one of the three, as I haven't really posted here in almost a month except to update status on my clam diary, really, please stop beating around the bush, man up and put it out there. He said, she said, without ponying up the actual facts is more than annoying.
As far as Scott, please, I have never had an issue, he is entitled to an opinion as are you. He really owes you no apologies or explanations unless he cares to. He is an active member who contributes to the forum. How often do you post or contribute?

That is a real possibility...we were joking about invisable fish with a new person and teased he could be burrito and talking about funny faces..o_O XD
Nobody was mean or rude...it was just fun. it isn't our fault, Joe was confused and thought it was April 1st.

indy2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2009
http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343692
That's ridiculous......that's what we are here for....UNLESS...you have a problem with us....oh well....I have read and re-read some posts.....I can not find anything
No Moewzer I don't have a problem with you or the Moderators..I honestly think if Scott wants the information I would feel more comfortable having him handle it at his discretion, I don't want that information getting out and than being harassed...The Point of the post was to let SWF know that this was a small concern of mine, now a few people in this post want names..I'm sorry I will not give out any names. I was hoping that Moderators and Staff would read this and Maybe keep an closer eye out and handle it at their discretion..Instead of isolating certain members..

S

smartorl

Yep, just like someone walking into the middle of a conversation and misunderstanding. Happens all the time (remember the telephone game?), however, most people wouldn't instantly start pointing fingers and being nasty to others about how they should be banned, that's pretty crappy in my opinion.
Indy on the ignore list, life is too short for jerks.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/382817/very-disappointed#post_3343700
I am not so sure BTLD. meowzer gets around pretty good. im sure she has read at least 80% of all the posts sense she has been a moderator
LOL...You are probably right.....and I will re-iterate what I have said to INDY, and some others I have spoken to
IF you have a problem, find something offensive....PLEASE PM ME......I will not make public what we discuss, and I (as the other mods would) will look into and correct the issue
we do not want anyone unhappy....or uncomfortable here

meowzer

OK...I think this is getting out of hand......INDY stated a concern that he had.....He was referring to Scott the owner...NOT Scott T the forum member
I don;t think anyone has the right to tell someone else how to feel about something, so let's stop that right now. the name calling also will not continue here either.
If a person has a complaint....I'll ask again....PLEASE pm a moderator, or e-mail administration....
This thread has come to an end

S

smartorl

Indy got upset about the idea that people would be advised to test for iodine. The standing advice given was not to dose anything you don't test for. He felt there was no point unless your stock was acting funny....... The responses were that he was sitting on a time bomb. Apparently, this among other responses offended him.
I think this is someone trying to create problems.
This forum offers a wealth of information and has some very knowledgeable members. No one here is afraid to go in search of answers for another and every opinion (except maybe Wayner and Burrito
) is appreciated. We offer insight to our particular situations and come here to find out others.
We joke, we tease, we play, and we do this because we have developed respect and friendships here. But when the chips are down, people are serious where it matters and offer excellent advice.