VHO Ballast Question?

acrylic300

I was wondering if I could replace my existing NO ballasts with Electronic
ARO VHO (220)s?. Are they small enough to fit inside the strip light case?
Has anyone tried this?

T

thomas712

The normal size of an NO light strip ballist is about a half a roll of quarters, the VHO ballast is about the size of a red building brick. I don't think it will work.

acrylic300

These are plastic black strip lights with aluminum insides that I have. If the ballasts dont fit and I run them from a seperate location, will it work ? Other than buying VHO bulbs will these fixtures be acceptable?

acrylic300

I was wondering about that, Maybe ill order some 3 pc. German endcaps. Im not sure if that would leave enough room for the bulbs. Then my next worry is if it would melt the plastic light cover.

bang guy

Originally Posted by acrylic300
Then my next worry is if it would melt the plastic light cover.
Probably not. The endcaps get hot the rest of the bulb isn't as hot.

acrylic300

ok, I just read that its polystyrene anyway (is that a fancy word for plastic?) They are old Perfecto strips and the ballasts need to be replaced very badly. The ballasts are bubbled with rust and the paint is flaking off. Im pretty sure they are running too hot and underdriving my bulbs.
When I see the Electronic ARO 220's (duel) on sale for $35 it makes me think its worth trying at least. Unless I burn my house down of course.

bang guy

Use that ballast remotely, don't house it on top of your aquarium. The heat and humidity will quickly kill it.