VHO or PC?

cbshark

I am in the process of redoing my lighting system on my 125 reef and have question. What type of lighting would be recommended between VHO and PC? I currently have a hodge podge of pc's on my tank for a total of about 325 watts. I am currently keeping softies, condys and some LPS such as hammer frogspawn, candy cane and a green brain which are all doing well. I want to replace my lights for two reasons: to clean up the appearance of the top of my tank and for an upgrade. I am torn between a Current USA Orbit fixture with either 4 or 6 bulbs (400-600 watts) and a VHO setup with 3 or 4 72" bulbs (480-640 watts) in a new canopy. I've thought about MH's but don't know if I am willing to spend that kind of cash. Which of the two would allow me greater flexibility with inhabitants and which would allow me to keep more advanced types of corals such as SPS and clams? Any opinions or experiences with either would be greatly appreciated.

viet-tin

I hear that pc lights are more intense than vho but im not 100% on that. MH arent that expensive when you look on that auction site. I purchased a dual 250w mh for pretty cheap. And with mh you can get basically any type of corals or clams you want.

bang guy

Just my opinion but if SPS & Clams are your goal then MH really is the best bet.
If you want to stay with LPS & the types of corals you currently have I like VHO. Theoretically PC should be better than VHO but that has not been my experience. I don't know why...

dacia

I have a Current USA Orbit fixture, and it is doing great for my softies. I have contemplated some LPS, but I am not even thinking about getting SPS or clams in there. I think if you want SPS or clams you really ought to shell out the money for MH lights.

jon.316

If i had to choose i'd run vhos.....but def get a coupla mh's...prolly run u about 250 for a nice pair.....let me know if ur interested i'll let u know if i happen to run across a good deal....

fishboy 86

Yea it all depend what you want I prefer PC's but there is satification in know you can keep almost any thing with MH's:D :D

shawnts106

you will be MUCH happier with the light output of VHO's and the color they produce... its a much RICHER color instead of the white nasty look... very pure color! great !!! use vho's IMO!

ajwaters

I don't know much about PC .. and I like my VHO's If I ha the more money and knowledge at the time I would have gotton the MH's and still wish many times I did. So in the future, my next costly upgrade will be for the MH's I have always heard how they make the water sparkle and i would love to see that. And not feel such a worrry when I want to purchase a new coral if my lighting is good enough.