vibe's 10 gallon bedroom nano

bolobean

hi vibe, do you know jeremy over your way, used to work in lfs. had a nano tank and 90 gal tank for sale, Im looking to buy his tank. thanks

rbaby

Vibe that's looking killer and that yellow coral is amazing! Really stands out...
Did you change your lighting at all or did you just mess with your camera a bit? It seems like it has significantly become much clearer and has a nicer color spectrum than your previous pics. Good job, keep the progress pics coming!

schwierp

VIBE,
How much have you spent to date setting up for your 10 gallon nano? I'm trying to decide on what the best option is in getting started. Would you recommend starting big or small if I have a fairly experienced saltwater guy willing to help me out for a little while?
Thanks. Your tank looks great!

vibe

well. it depends on what you want actually. ok heres the beak down. small tanks, IMO, are easier to take care of. but the problem with small tanks is you gotta keep an eye on the parameters constantly. smaller tanks = levels get more unstable faster. with larger tanks, its fairly the opposite. to me nanos are great! and dont require a lot of expertise. i find it easier and cheaper to take care of my 10 gallon, compared to my 120g. remeber one important thing. do not, and i repeat do not skimp on lighting. go the best you can afford, or dont go at all. i learned that from experience and im sure a lot of people on this board have as well. dont get me wrong, i love my 80 watts of PC, but i wish i would had waited a little bit and gone halide instead. always go with the best when is come to equipment. IMO you should start with a 10 gallon or 30 gallon tank. however, if you want one of the more popular kind of tanks, try a 20 gallon long. 20 gallon longs IMO make ideal mini reefs. i am thinking about gettinga second tank and making it a 20 long. good luck!

shep77

Vibe, I am looking at starting a NANO tank and am new to SW, so I am reading as much as humanly possible. My question for you, is in a tank like your dominated in reef structure, what do you have to do and the cost associated with supplements? I totally understand what you are saying about maintaining a smaller tank, especially as a beginner. The testing more often is something I would have to my routine, but no where on this site have I been able to find or have people responded to my threads about the costs of the testing kits. I do know not to skimp out and in general I should be looking at about $60 for a kit, but how long will a kit like that last?

vibe

shep77- i would suggest but individual kits. this is the more expensive way, buts its the best way. like one test kit for ph, one for trite, one for trate, one for ammonia, and so on. until you feel that you have what you need. definatly pic up an alkilinity test kit. mine is from Seatest. its very good and very accurate. try to stay away from strip test kits. another option could be to but a test kit that has ph, ammonia, trite and trate, all in one. then but phosphate, calcium, alkilinity and any others separatly as you go along as you wont be needing them until you start adding chemicals, coral, and fish (this is what i did). hope this helps.
ricky1863- thanks!
NORWAY- i know the first part of the name is Turbinaria, but i forgot the second part.

vibe

new additions: green skirt, light blue center zoos, fluorescent green zoos, pink w/ purple polyp seriatapora.
green skirt, light blue center zoos: