Vodka Dosing.

spanko

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2991928
I can see this thread getting out of hand...
...and yes, Henry, I got them. Thank you. You should post them in a certain 'helpful links' thread.

Yeah problem is they are competitor sites therefore against the rules of SWF to post them.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2991797
Ill be watching spanko.I may be ready to try this if you have positive results.
Thanx for the thread.
please remember there are more things to consider then the end results when you are vodka dosing

florida joe

Ok let me go out on a limb here. Polyp extension is NOT the primary reason for vodka dosing, as I am sure Henry will agree. As an experienced hobbyist he knows the road he must take to insure the health of his tank when dosing. Please do the same

spanko

I have my reasons for trying Vodka dosing and explained them in the first post, coral color, polyp extension, ultra low nutrients so that I can feed the coral more to affect growth, and reduction in some of the microalgae in the tank. That being said there are a number of things that have to be considered prior to undertaking the risk involved as my friend Joe is alluding to. First and most importantly is the need for a skimmer that works. As the dosing works it increase the denitrifying bacteria in the system for the purpose of reducing - eliminating nitrate and phosphate. As this increase in bacteria happens and reduction of there nitrates and phosphates happen the is die-off in the bacteria. This is where the skimmer is necessary to remove the dead - dying bacteria. The skimmer is also an aid in maintaining oxygen in the water. The other risks include but are not limited to yellow water, burning of the tips of the SPS coral and in some cases loss of certain coral, and cyano outbreaks. My attempt here will be monitored daily to allow me to stop at the moment I see any problems developing and take action to reverse it to the best of my ability. I will also, after following the other biocube thread, not increase my dosing. I will maintain a 1 drop dose of both the vodka and the amino acid throughout the time I continue this trial. Do read up on it if you are even considering dosing vodka based on what you will read here. I will not explain all of the ins and outs but only the results I see from it. It is up to you as the keeper of your systems to understand what you are doing, the risks involved, and whether or not you are willing to take those risks. I am for the moment.

florida joe

Henry thank you for putting in to words what I was feeling. The last thing I am sure you would want to do is post dramatic results and have people put their tanks in jeopardy by not doing their homework

florida joe

My very good friend as you very well know I have had my fair share of vodka dosing
so I will stay out of the fray

florida joe

Henry are you going to be running any tests to determine if there is any negative effects to your coral if you get good polyp extension and then abruptly stop dosing

spanko

If I stop dosing the tests I would be concerned with are nitrate and phosphate. The whole goal here is to run an ULNS (ultra low nutrient system) to allow for greater feeding for coral growth and color. So I am sure if the dosing stops the feeding would have to be cut back to predosing levels to keep nutrients in check. The whole thing is interesting to me and like I said I am willing to take the risk of really messing up for the possibility that I may succeed. Hopefully I have read enough and understand enough that the latter will be the case. The other thing I have asked some that are doing this is once you start it appears to be an ongoing ritual. Good thing the Mohawk (80 proof by the way) is inexpensive and at one drop per day will last quite a while.

florida joe

As far as dosing when used to lower nitrates you are exactly right when it comes to being a slave to dosing. Dosing is such a powerful tool when used for denitrification that it out competes every other method simultaneously used and once you stop dosing your nitrate load overpowers your diminished other systems of dinitrification

fishkid13

WOW, Henry and Joe, not confusing each other and being friends. I can't believe my eyes. JK. I hope it works good and everything goes according to plan, which would be a first in this hobby or any for that matter.

florida joe

Originally Posted by fishkid13
http:///forum/post/2995841
WOW, Henry and Joe, not confusing each other and being friends. I can't believe my eyes. JK. I hope it works good and everything goes according to plan, which would be a first in this hobby or any for that matter.
where did you get the idea Henry and i are friends

socal57che

I'd call that a common salutation, coming from my old friend, Joe.
Joe is quite chivalrous, even in heated debates. IMO, he is an honorable man and I am glad to have made his acquaintance.

[hr]
Henry...I'm gonna need more pics if you want me to stay interested, here.
Stray dogs...anything.

spanko

Socal I will try to get some up. It has only been a week and a half so far so not much to show but let me get some pics and we will compare them.
In the meantime not a stray but my good companion Napa a miniature pincher. He is around 40 lbs.

05xrunner

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2990555
17-mar Acropora

that looks dead...
Vodka should be supplemented daily during the lighting phase.
You can start with 0.1 mL/100 L for the first three days.
Then you increase the vodka volume to 0.2 mL/100 L for day 4-7.
Subsequently to this initial week you increase the vodka dose by 0.5 mL per total tank volume (this is important, do not dose on a per 100L basis, but on the total tank volume!) every week.
So, e.g. for a 500 L tank:
day 1-3: 0.1 * 5 = 0.5 mL
day 4-7: 0.2 * 5 = 1 mL
2. week (day 8-14): 1 mL + 0.5 mL = 1.5 mL
3. week: 1.5 mL + 0.5 mL = 2 mL.
After these 3 weeks you should recognize changes in the nutrient levels (nitrate, phosphate). If the nutrient levels are still unchanged, you should further increase the dose by 0.5 mL per total tank volume.
As soon as you recognize either nitrate or phosphate to start dropping you shouldn't further increase the vodka volume but watch the nutrient levels, even in the first three weeks.
also this is with any 80proof vodka..nothing with any stronger proof is to be used

spanko

Yup you are correct. There are a few spots where there is some life and I have not taken it out yet as I want to see what happens with them. 05X sounds like you have done some investigating into the practice. Have you actually done some dosing? Would you, for the advancement of this thread, share some of your experiences and if you have some progression pictures please?
As soon as you recognize either nitrate or phosphate to start dropping you shouldn't further increase the vodka volume but watch the nutrient levels, even in the first three weeks.
Also have you or did you see an bacterial bloom in your tank causing either yellowing or clouding of the water at anytime during the increase in dosing? And did you ever have to cut back on the dosing because of a bloom of some sort?
Thank you for posting here and getting involved with this thread.