Vortec Vs. Tunze

J

jstdv8

So one of my local reefing buddies has a good thread up on "the other forum" about the differences between the two powerheads.
I'd like to hear some experiences from my peeps here on SWF.com
I was seriously looking at an MP40 for my 4' 120g
i saw the vids on youtube witht he waves and undertow and how expanded the flow was and it looked awesome.
But several people on the other forum were complaining about noise (some slight some very loud) and others had mechanical failures....
The tunzes seemed to be quieter and more reliable (most of this seems to be due to adjutment of the vortech according to vortec lovers)
I'd really love to get the back and forth action and alot more flow all over my tank with the waves and all without spending an absolute ton of cash
I do have a reef keeper lite if that helps the Tunzes case at all for controlability to be able to create a wave action.
Thoughts?

btldreef

I have never used the Tunze, I'm a Vortech fanatic.
They're not loud if installed properly. For about 10 days, mine was not installed properly and it was LOUD, once corrected, it has been fine. Yes, if you run them at 100%, you're going to hear something, it's a powerhead afterall, but IMO and IME, it's not that loud and mine is right outside my bedroom door. My skimmer is louder than my MP40. Mechanical failures were far more common with the first generation, the second is much better. The people that have issues with them are usually those that do not ever maintanence them or mess with them constantly. I clean mine once a month and it seems to be just fine. My husband has repaired many broken models for people and each time he has a broken one, it's do to owner misuse (90% of the time it's filthy and just needs a good cleaning).
I love them, have no reason to try the Tunze and will never go back to regular powerheads again. I really like that there is no wire in the tank for it either. I'm slowly removing all wires from my system (external pump, hang on skimmer, etc).

acrylic51

Tunze.....Vortech had/has issues, that they never resolved IMO as far as damaged down to an acrylic tank. Customer service of Tunze is top's in the business

J

jstdv8

My tank is in a dedicated fish room so the noise is really no factor to me, but i don't want to drop 400 on something that isn't going to hold up.
So with the Vortec... what are others doing wrong as far as alignment that makes them fail or get loud? Is it really that hard to allign? so once a month when you clean it what is the process?

acrylic51

Do alittle searching....You don't see the Tunze dropping dead....My thing with Vortech's is they aren't any smaller than Tunzes, they are 2 pieces, and yes they have had issues with the wet sides needing replaced quite a bit, and them not staying together.....Some do some don't, but again for that cash you outlay, they don't have the same customer service as Tunze which is a big issue when you outlay that kind of money, and Tunze has all the bells and whistles as far as modes, photo sensors, and are compatible with your major controllers, and they also sell their own controllers.

meowzer

GREAT THREAD....I too am looking into a Mp40....BUT would love something to compare it too
SHAWN.....what model tunze do you recommend to compare to the MP40......I'd like to check it out also

btldreef

They do suck on Acrylic from what I have gathered.
Yes, if they're not aligned properly, there is issues, it's not hard to align. I let my husband do it, BIG MISTAKE, and that was why we had issues. He just slapped the thing together and told me he read the directions, I should have known better.
But again, I can't speak for the Tunze, I've never used one.

J

jstdv8

can i get them to do a wave action like the MP40 does without another controler or a wave box though? thats my main question, can i use this with my RKL and get the action I want?

acrylic51

Tunze's were the original ones to be used for producing waves in a tank, outside of dedicated surges boxes.....So yes they can be used to make waves, but if you search a little more you'll find your waves are increased/better with the addition of a box. That is why on my build I opted for the external wavebox to keep the tank clear of PH's......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/382699/vortec-vs-tunze#post_3341761
can i get them to do a wave action like the MP40 does without another controler or a wave box though? thats my main question, can i use this with my RKL and get the action I want?

acrylic51

Tunze comparible would be something in the line of a 6100 modded or the newer 6105. Check out the 6305 would drain your average tank.....The MP60 was marketed to compete with the 6305, and the nice thing with the Tunze you can contact Roger and if you have something particularly unique there are options that can be done per say to a 6100 to increase it's output without buying a whole new unit......
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382699/vortec-vs-tunze#post_3341751
GREAT THREAD....I too am looking into a Mp40....BUT would love something to compare it too
SHAWN.....what model tunze do you recommend to compare to the MP40......I'd like to check it out also

acrylic51

In all honestly Jstdv8 I don't think they are interactive with the RKL.....I would contact Eco for sure, but to the best of my knowledge they are a little secretive about their software, and weren't eager to put it out there. I do know the Tunzes are plug and play with the Apex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/382699/vortec-vs-tunze#post_3341761

acrylic51

Meowzer the black box at the bottom of pic is the transformer or driver per say.....the motor/impeller is housed in the top unit behind the shroud....Honestly, cross the street and go over to RC and shoot Roger a PM in the dedicated Tunze forum and he will explain in great detail.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382699/vortec-vs-tunze#post_3341794
OK, explain this to me.....what is the box shown, and where is the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/thread/382699/vortec-vs-tunze#post_3341787
Tunze's were the original ones to be used for producing waves in a tank, outside of dedicated surges boxes.....So yes they can be used to make waves, but if you search a little more you'll find your waves are increased/better with the addition of a box. That is why on my build I opted for the external wavebox to keep the tank clear of PH's......
Jstdv8 here is a link to what you asked earlier.....
/www.reefcentral.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1782190

J

jstdv8

Shawn,
I think you got my question backwards.
i was wondering if the Tunzes would be able to make waves like the Vortec while hooked up to my RKL.
I guess I don't see the point of the thread you posted.... the vortec comes with its own adjustable controler for the different wave types you might like. I don't see why anyone would want to hook up a vortec to a controler since it has its own.
The tunzes on the other hand are more like a powerfull, controllable Koralia than they are a vortec, so you need something to tell them to turn on and off at certain times to make waves.

acrylic51

No Jstdv8 I did answer your question.... Tunzes were the originators of producing waves. This was being done before the Vortech's started. So yes they can. Vortech is doing what Tunzes have been doing. The key is to find the frequency to generate. Easier with standard tanks, gets tricky with wider tanks.

J

jstdv8

the link you sent me was about weather you could attach a vortec to a RKL.
I see lots of things that say that apex is set up nice for the tunzes, but i jsut got my RKL I'm not ready to buy a whole new controler to run my powerheads. So I guess thats a plus 1 for the Vortecs

J

jstdv8

what does the apex do that the RKL doesnt? can it actually set the power ramp up and not jsut on and off at certain intervals?

acrylic51

Apex and RKL are very similar, but the Apex does have certain features, that the RKL doesn't have.....Apex; which is Neptune again has been around quite a bit longer and has alittle more advantage with the features it offers and I think is the biggest feature is the internet deal. There are apps and such and it's just more advanced for a person that's away alot that needs to monitor his system. This is all done with on board stuff that the RKL doesn't off. I'm not a computer tech so don't ask me, but if you sit the 2 units side by side and compare you'll see there are major differences, and probes and expandability that Apex has the advantage over RKL. Another is their support as well. A big key when you send that kind of cash.
As far as the Tunzes hooking up to the RKL's, I'd suggest calling DA and talking with their tech support...They would best be able to answer that question.
Back to some or probably the biggest difference between the RKL and Apex is RKL can monitor your system via the web, but can't control your system via the web. Apex does this straight out of the box.