Vortech MP40

A

abeandlulu

I need some opinions on the MP40 vortech. I am wanting to get some and I want to know what yall think of them. I have a 265 gallon reef. I also am trying to figure out how many should I get.. I also saw SWF. has on there web site they are coming out with an MP60 the end of OCT. I just upgraded from maxi jets to Koralia (3 1050's and a mag. 8) and im not impressed with the evolution 1050's I have them on a wave maker and now some of them are rotating backwards, sticking and make very loud noises when they start up.

btldreef

I LOVE my MP40w and honestly will never go back to Koralia's again. I fought my husband tooth and nail on purchasing these as I thought they were a waste of money, but it was definitely money well spent.
I have 2 in my 155 and plan on 2 in my 180, possibly a third. It depends on how strong your pump is, where you position them, what setting they're on, etc.

meowzer

The MP40's seem great....it's just the expense of them :(
$400 for a powerhead...WOOHOO is pretty steep

btldreef

honestly, that's the only drawback, is the price. I ran my 155 with only one for a long time, and even just the one did a better job that 5 koralias that it replaced.
I spent $310 on mine brand new, thank goodness I know people. I'm in the market for the smaller model for a nano tank, the Koralia Nano produced too much heat, the Vortech has almost no heat output. In the nano's they can really save a lot of space.

A

abeandlulu

They are expensive. That is why I bought the Koralias. I have had the mag 8 for a while now and I love that one. I have that one on the wave maker also. So I thought the evolutions would be just as good. My husband is the one that doesnt want to spend the money for them but all the research I have done says they are great pumps.

A

abeandlulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381056/vortech-mp40#post_3317635
honestly, that's the only drawback, is the price. I ran my 155 with only one for a long time, and even just the one did a better job that 5 koralias that it replaced.
I spent $310 on mine brand new, thank goodness I know people. I'm in the market for the smaller model for a nano tank, the Koralia Nano produced too much heat, the Vortech has almost no heat output. In the nano's they can really save a lot of space.
Really one in a 155???

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeandlulu http:///forum/thread/381056/vortech-mp40#post_3317639
Really one in a 155???
Yes, that along with my return pump was all I ran for quite a while, then I added a Fluval FX5 just to have better movement through chemical media and add a little more flow to the tank. I finally got a second one, but now I run them at like 60-70%, never a full 100%.

A

abeandlulu

Sweet! Im starting to like these thing even more.
My husband my not be liking me before to long.

meowzer

Abeandlulu:
e-mail this guy about the hydors running backwards. Explain what it is doing...he will have you check a few things, and then send you what you need to fix it...or tell you what to do

I realize the MP's are better, but I can't justify the money right now.......I have 6 Koralias in my 225G...and I highly doubt 1 MP40 would cut out 3 of them......With the rock I have, I have them all positioned just right
mmagaletti@hydor.com

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeandlulu http:///forum/thread/381056/vortech-mp40#post_3317645
Sweet! Im starting to like these thing even more.
My husband my not be liking me before to long.

LOL .. I almost choked my husband when I came home from work and saw the box on the kitchen table...
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/381056/vortech-mp40#post_3317647
Abeandlulu:
e-mail this guy about the hydors running backwards. Explain what it is doing...he will have you check a few things, and then send you what you need to fix it...or tell you what to do

I realize the MP's are better, but I can't justify the money right now.......I have 6 Koralias in my 225G...and I highly doubt 1 MP40 would cut out 3 of them......With the rock I have, I have them all positioned just right
mmagaletti@hydor.com
Since they have different modes/pulses, you'd be surprised where they can get flow... I totally understand the $ issue though. We spent almost all of our wedding gift money on the damn fish tanks this past year, so appropriately, when we sent out our tank you cards, it was a picture of us in front of our 155G. No one really caught on since we had a sea themed wedding except for close friends.

A

abeandlulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381056/vortech-mp40#post_3317647
Abeandlulu:

mmagaletti@hydor.com
I will definitly email the guy about the pumps. Thanks.
Do you have any temp. issues with you tank? 6 power heads is alot of heat. I have to run a chiller on mine. I have lots of rocks to and I have my Koralias positioned just right also. The MP40s you cant position them. That worries my also.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeandlulu http:///forum/thread/381056/vortech-mp40#post_3317863
I will definitly email the guy about the pumps. Thanks.
Do you have any temp. issues with you tank? 6 power heads is alot of heat. I have to run a chiller on mine. I have lots of rocks to and I have my Koralias positioned just right also. The MP40s you cant position them. That worries my also.
You can position them, sort of. But you will not need to. Keep in mind that these do not work like a normal powerhead. They have different pulses that make the water current hit everywhere in the tank. It is about as close to a natural setting as you're going to get.
The heat issue was a huge factor in getting these, we ran 3 250watt Halides (single ended, which run very hot), and 4 T5's all summer without a chiller.

ibew41

replaced 2 k2 with a mp40sw and temp went down almost 5 deg overnight and has remained there.love mine and will get another to replace the last k2 in my tank

bulldog123

I run one mp40 in my 54g and two mp40, and a mp20 in my 144g. They are great pumps! The only thing I wish they would do is make the spacer in to some sort of wedge so you could adjust the angle.