Vortech pumps mp10 for my 120 reef?

lluv24

Hi I want to buy a pair of echo tech vortech pumps mp 10 w series. My tank is a 120 gal 4 ft tank. I currently run two koralia 4 Will the vortices work as good as the koralia pumps. I know I should get the mp40 but that's to much money right know. Please help:sad:

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluv24 http:///t/387861/vortech-pumps-mp10-for-my-120-reef#post_3415974
Hi I want to buy a pair of echo tech vortech pumps mp 10 w series. My tank is a 120 gal 4 ft tank. I currently run two koralia 4 Will the vortices work as good as the koralia pumps. I know I should get the mp40 but that's to much money right know. Please help:sad:
There is no way that 2 mp 10's would work on a 120. I run 2 mp 10's and a koralia nano on my 55.

meowzer

LOL....I have an MP10 in my 54G....I am eventually gonna add a 2nd.....don't know how it would work in a bigger one

2quills

The masters are saying they put out almost 3000gph. That's pretty significant over what they are advertised as. I would think for the length of the tank they would work, but since a 120 is wide that 4 mp10's would be better. However two mp40's may be more appropriate. Depending on flow requirements.

btldreef

If you have an excellent amount of circulation with just the return pump to start, it's doable, although I wouldn't personally advise it. In order to make 2 MP10's work in a 120, you'd really have to run them at full power. Honestly, you'd be better off buying one MP40. I own both the MP10 and 40 models and I personally think the 40 is a great investment and really puts out a lot more power. Later on you could then add a second MP and go with the 10 or another 40. They're pricey, but worth it.

lluv24

ok I got a mp40 today now what is the best setting. And should I run one of my koralia 's with it or not? Im just not sure what the most popular setting is? Thanks again.

deejeff442

the yellow setting.forgot the name of it though. i would run a korilia with it. i have 2 mp40's in my tank and still run a #4 korilia along the back of the rock.you are gunna love this powerhead.they are just awesome.took me a year to suck it up and buy them.i also bought the battery backup.worth every penny.my corals have grown so much faster since i switched from 6 #4 korilias to the two mp40's.yea i had 6 korilia #4's in there.and the mp's kick their butts

meowzer

the yellow mode is called random...reef crest/lagoonal....IMO the best setting
I have 2 MP40's in my 225G and keep a Koralia 1400 on the back wall of tank...the 2 MP40's are on each end facing each other...I would put your on one end, and run your biggest Koralia opposite from it...maybe keep one in the center too for now

btldreef

I agree, leave a Korallia running on the opposite side, but honestly, you might not need it. Reef crest random and nutrient export are the two modes that I prefer.

lluv24

Now is there a night time mode? And does the reefcrest mode change speeds throughout the day. It seems to stay the same speed.

meowzer

It should change speeds continuously....Make sure you have it on the yellow...you will see the led lights go up and down

lluv24

Ok great I will try it out when I get home. Thanks. I'm sure I will have more questions. Like how to set up the night time mode.

lluv24

well new update I got the mp40 and the mp10. They are w series and they r awesome. I can't say enough about these pumps. Thanks to u guys I'm very happy:hi:

lluv24

Yea I don't think she should know. Better that way. Lol. Thanks to all. I'm going to post some pics soon.