waaaay too much coraline?

jtt

is it possible to have too much coraline algae? it seems like every time i turn around, there is more and more in my 14g nano... I am not putting any chemicles in the water... I do have one piece of live rock that was from my lfs display tank that was covered in it... is this normal?
sorry about the bad pic, it was taken from my phone, the back wall of my nano WAS blue...

mantisman51

Great problem to have. No such thing as too much coraline. It means good things are happening-the tank is maturing.

cablebox615

Always try to remember the more coraline you have, the least you have to worry about bad algae growing. Coraline occupies space that bad algae can grow on. I would even try to get different species(colors) of coraline algae.

jtt

I have a bit of green algae on the front on the glass, but thats what snails and magnetic glass cleaners are for. but the whole back wall is purple... even the powerhead...
i think the antenna feeler things on my cleaner shrimp have purple on them....

cablebox615

Im talking about lots of colors .Ill just give you a idea of what im talking about. Pink, orange, purple, maroon, neon pink, lighter greens,white, and various other colors. Most of the rock in my tank was lace rock(all light gray color) when I first bought it, and now they all have at least three or more of the previously stated colors. They are about 90% pink, purple, or maroon, with a splash of the other colors. It is very interesting to watch the lace rock turn from light gray to all those beautiful colors.

pezenfuego

Unless it grows so fast that your hand is covered after five minutes of having it in the tank, I think you're fine

cranberry

It's not necessarily a good thing when it gets to be too much... heavily encrusted rock is less of an effective biofilter... it turns from being a nice porous rock to a less effective one like dense LR.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3039652
It's not necessarily a good thing when it gets to be too much... heavily encrusted rock is less of an effective biofilter... it turns from being a nice porous rock to a less effective one like dense LR.
Less surface area for bacteria to thrive...

twistedenvy

I wish I could get coralline like that. I have a lot of red algea on my rocks and some purple, but I am getting more and more green. It sucks cleaning the green everyday. any suggestions?

kaingers

If you scrub a rock that has coraline on it with a clean toothbrush it will release spores in your tank. Bottom line is your tank has to mature. I have found that PC's will promote coraline growth the most. If you are running a halide on your tank it might take a little longer.