Walmart brand water?

hocky

What is their brand, great value or something? Regardless, I'm looking into water for my first tank and came across this at the store yesterday. It is labeled as purified water and says it is distilled, reverse osmosis water. The price is the best I've seen at ~$3.50 for 6 gallons. Should this work for me?

fbm

I know there are people on this board using it. I use RO water from a water bottling company I pay 2 bucks for 5 gallon bottle with a 7 dollar deposit.

stephish

I've been told by others on here that they use the water machines at wal-mart, our here is Culligan. It's RO and only .33 a gallon if you bring your own container. I'm going to use it to get my change out water going.

bang guy

It will work just fine as long as you're really getting what is advertised.
I'd recommend testing the water with a TDS meter to make sure. The last time I tested Walmart Distilled water it had a TDS reading of 76. That's totally unacceptable. 0 or 1 would be acceptable.
The Culligan RO/DI water tested at 105.

ugluk

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
It will work just fine as long as you're really getting what is advertised.
I'd recommend testing the water with a TDS meter to make sure. The last time I tested Walmart Distilled water it had a TDS reading of 76. That's totally unacceptable. 0 or 1 would be acceptable.
Really? I was planning on using the R/O water from my local Acme at $.40gallon. This makes me think twice. What would having a high TDS reading do to my tank?

bang guy

The ACME water may be perfect, I'm just suggesting you first buy a gallon and test it.
High TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) means that there's something other than water in there. It may be harmless like dissolved Calcium or it can be harmful like Phosphate or it may cause Diatoms blooms like Silicate. There's no way to know.

fender

:scared:
Wow. My tap water is less than that

bang guy

They're not all the same. Generally the more $$ ones are more accurate - like readings down to 0.001 and up to 10,000 using high-med-low ranges.
For our purposes we just need a low range. Although, the High range models are convenient for testing Salinity.

kmc

I have used the Wal Mart bring your own bucket Culligan water. I had some problems with brown algae so I switched to getting it at my LFS. I have been in there so much lately that now they give the water to me 5 gallons at a time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Wal Mart water was a problem but I switched just to eliminate it as a possible contributor. As long as the LFS gives it to me I will keep using it but i have a feeling when I upgrade to a bigger tank that they won't be giving it to me anymore. It's 50 cents/gal there vs 33 cents at Wal Mart.

larryndana

Thanks, Bang. I was using my lfs for water, until I tested the phosphates were of the charts. Which was after an algae bloom.
Right now i'm using distilled from wally world, just not sure anymore what to use. I am in need of a TDS meter.
kmc, its cheaper if you bring your own bucket for that culligan water. I saw it tonight at 1.28 a gal and 7something for 3 gals, thought that was way to expensive. i was Just curious, after I get a TDS meter i'm gonna find the best that i can....until i get a ro/di unit.

bang guy

Originally Posted by larryndana
just not sure anymore what to use. I am in need of a TDS meter.
A good RO/DI is about 200 bucks. It's an outstanding investment for reef tanks.

watertite

A company called Catalina water company sells Ocean water at about 9 and some change for 5 gals. I have consistantly got 20 on the hydro and my fish seem more active and colorful and of course no mixing and phosphate free at a ph of 8.3 I don't know how I got along without it. No more torturing my Aquaria and best of all you can have it Fedexed to your door if you want. ******* carries it. Check it out you won't be disappointed.

DO NOT post links to other online stores its against the forum rules

yerboy

A good RO/DI is about 200 bucks. It's an outstanding investment for reef tanks.
paid 209 for mine off swf.com
prolly the best investment i have for my tanks other then my lights.

larryndana

Originally Posted by watertite
A company called Catalina water company sells Ocean water at about 9 and some change for 5 gals. I have consistantly got 20 on the hydro and my fish seem more active and colorful and of course no mixing and phosphate free at a ph of 8.3 I don't know how I got along without it. No more torturing my Aquaria and best of all you can have it Fedexed to your door if you want. *********carries it. Check it out you won't be disappointed.

Sounds scary
Where is it collected and what do they do after collection?

larryndana

Originally Posted by yerboy
paid 209 for mine off swf.com
prolly the best investment i have for my tanks other then my lights.

209 for just ro, why wouldn't you want ro/di?

joncat24

my walmart does not have the machine , but I buy the gallon jugs with either the purple or green lids and both measure "0" on tds meter. It is kind of a pain to buy alot of jugs , but it works. Depending on the size of the tank, I would recommend them for sure. It just kinda sucks going there to buy 20 jugs at a time.....LOL