Want to splurge on new light hood with halides/Cf's and moonlights but don't know which one! HELP!

krypton74

Hey all! It's been a while since I've visited - kind of nice not to have so many problems as of late! :) My birthday is coming up and the only thing I want is a new light hood with all the fixins. I'm looking at the 36"

Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture

from Fosters and Smith - its on sale, but I am so open to other suggestions. There are conflicting reviews (aren't there always?). Here's my set up -
7 year set up (hallelujah!)
46 gal bowfront
Two T5 HO
two clowns
scopus tang
madarin goby
regular clean up crew
bubble tip
tons of zoos
finger leather
mushrooms
mushroom leather
a few ricordea here and there
I want to start adding more corals, but know my lighting may not be strong enough. So here are my questions if any of you can help!
1. Can those hoods be above glass? I used to have a diamond goby and want another and know they are jumpers. I don't want an open top on the tank.
2. I've seen certain ones "run hot" - does that mean they heat up the water? (yikes)
3. We aren't DIYourselfers. We want to just buy something and have it ready to go. Do any of you have any experiences with this?
4. Do I have to hang these from the ceiling? I don't know if that's an option for us. Dogs, kids and just plain craziness around here!
I'm open to just about any suggestion other than a DIY! Bring it on everyone!! :)
Becky

acrylic51

If your going to splurge.... IMHO forget the CF and do either LED's or MH's with T5's vs the CF's.

L

lilredwuck

Could a screen top (metal screen) work if glass can't be used? I think the hoods have legs, the pendants or is it pendents hang. Am I right on this?

L

lilredwuck

lol it's been about 24 hours since I slept. That one slipped right by me.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypton74 http:///forum/thread/380820/want-to-splurge-on-new-light-hood-with-halides-cf-s-and-moonlights-but-don-t-know-which-one-help#post_3315504
I was hoping the lighting would be ok through the glass top, but is that not going to work? I've always just had T5s and they've been fine, but jumping into halide territory is new to me. http://www.aquacave.com/icecap-36-reef-illuminationsbr-2-x-250w-metal-halide-t5--brled-aquarium-lght-fixture-2926.html
Thinking about this one, but it's way way more than I wanted to spend!

You don't need 250W MH...for a 36" tank. I have a 90g and only use a 175W MH
Keep shopping..You can do better