Wanting new pipefish..... got new pipefish!!!

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387820/wanting-new-pipefish-got-new-pipefish#post_3415953
Tirtza - Yes pipes and seahorses are compatible, BUT most pipes are wild caught and most people keep captive bred horses. Mixing wild with captive bred, you take a big chance on your horses catching something from the pipes. Captive bred horses haven't been exposed to the same pathogens and in such a closed system, they are very susceptible to bacterial infections. .
Just for referance
We have a guy here in town that breeds the pipe fish in captivity. I like them a-lot and hope they continue to thrive. I'm going to buy some copepods and put them in the tank. I'm just not sure if i have much in there. The pipe fish do seem to loke rotifers and cyclops so...... who knows

teresaq

Thats great. What type of pipes are they. I would love a pair of blue stripe, but no more tanks for me, lol

mproctor4

Paidey saw the pictures on the computer while I got up to answer the phone. So the secret is out with her. She kept looking at the pictures with a funny face and then she would look at the tank kinda funny. Finally she said "isn't that Draco? That looks like Kiefers tank but there are 2 pipefish in that picture!" Then she ran to the tank and started jumping up and down screaming "we have two now, he has a friend!" It was cute, wish I had the video camera out for that. It will be weeks and weeks before her brother notices.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387820/wanting-new-pipefish-got-new-pipefish/20#post_3415993
Thats great. What type of pipes are they. I would love a pair of blue stripe, but no more tanks for me, lol
they are in the corythoichthys species (Dragon faced) or yellow streaked. google it and check the images of, I might be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4
http:///t/387820/wanting-new-pipefish-got-new-pipefish/20#post_3415999
Paidey saw the pictures on the computer while I got up to answer the phone. So the secret is out with her. She kept looking at the pictures with a funny face and then she would look at the tank kinda funny. Finally she said "isn't that Draco? That looks like Kiefers tank but there are 2 pipefish in that picture!" Then she ran to the tank and started jumping up and down screaming "we have two now, he has a friend!" It was cute, wish I had the video camera out for that. It will be weeks and weeks before her brother notices.
Whats this "we" stuff!? You mean you and I??? (ehem....)

bender77

I don't want to hi-jack the other thread, so I'm adding on to yours. :) My LFS had one of these the other day and I almost impulse bought it LOL, but having horses and knowing how social they are and not sure if it would eat frozen and not having a proper tank I managed to pass. But, now, I'm really wanting a pair of these guys. I know you said your guys are eating prepared food, did you have to train them or did they just take it? I can't remember how big your tank is? What have you learned and what do you suggest when keeping these guys? Tanks size, food/feeding, tank mates ect I don't run into many pipe keepers

kiefers

The pipes I have are tank born and raised. Typically they eat copapods in the tanks. I'm sorry to say I must have misled you, both pipes died just recently. I can't say it was do to starvation because they were eating frozen rotifers and cyclops. I have a 56 gallon column with alot of live rock and coral, which they loved to swim in and out of alot. They were and are great fish for the tank. You may have to train feed but they also would eat frozen brine (salley's). I was told these were tank raised and when I told my fish guy he mentioned more than likely they were older pipes. One of them may have been used as the breeder. so I don't know. Thwy had no deseases, so it's hard to tell.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387820/wanting-new-pipefish-got-new-pipefish/20#post_3432877
So sorry Kief.....I must have missed that too :(
It's rather okay... I have, for some unknown reason, drifted away from posting updates on my reef. I thought I did post it, but no replies. LOL.
Maybe I should give all an update, my thread why not highjack it!!
Recent fish : 1 new wild caught clown fish. A Solar Wrasse which is currently in QT awaiting his introduction into the reef
Recent coral : Yellow rim scroll, very nice addition and doing very well. It has already grown abit. One can tell, it's starting twist. thats funny, twist "Come on baba...... lets do the twist!!"

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387820/wanting-new-pipefish-got-new-pipefish/20#post_3432889
LOL...you know what comes next
PICTURES
I just got the wrasse, so no pics yet, but the yellow rimed scroll, or the turbinia (speeling inaccurrate but will edit) basically, a cup coral. The neat thing about this coral is that during certain feeding times, the yellow tiny polyps come out. Unable to get a pic of this due to they are to small.
Birds eye view:

straight on view

tirtza

I'm so sorry to hear about your pipe fish :( How long do they usually live?
That looks like big cup coral! It's really beautiful.

kiefers

Thank you. I am sitting here looking at it right now, the polyps are all out and feeding. Truly amazing. Thinking of going for another Elegance soon. Better do that after my build. Never ending story, just when you think you have the set up looking good something else comes along and well....... you get the idea.

gemmy

I'm a little late to the thread, but I am sorry to hear about the pipes. I love the new additions.