Wanting to get puffer, but dont know what kind.... 200 gallon tank

I have a 200 gallon tank with no small fish. I have 3 urchins, a long spine, pencil, and I am not sure what my other one is, it is pink
with short spines which are not sharp. I do have hermit crabs and snails. I am wanting to get a puffer fish but I do not know what kind
would be a good choice. Any suggestions???

marinecm

Hello

First off you said that you have no small fishes but does this mean there are larger fish in the tank?
And I dont really know much about pufferfishes but I could reccomend a few that are commonly seen and would fit your requirements
. Arothron dog face puffer - max size 13 inch and semi agressive, also pretty easy to keep - min tank size : 120 gal
. porcupine puffer - Max size 12inch and semi agressive and pretty easy to keep as long as basic water conditions are kept - min tank size : 100 gal
Look these up on google to find out care in aquariums
These are the larger puffers I know off and there are many tobies (small puffers) readily availible
Also what else do you plan to stock with the puffer?
Hope this helps

Yeah I do have some larger fish in the aquarium. Like an angel, lion fish. tangs, and 4 large damsels. I was just doing a little more research and I was wondering if all puffers will eat snail and hermit crabs???

hawkfish203

I really like the Arothron Puffer it changes from black with white spots to a very nice golden color. There supposed to be pretty peaceful too. Look it up

Stay away from Valentini Puffers. They will fool you! They look cute at the store and are fairly priced, but they will eat any and everything. Coral, nip at all fish, snails, starfish (natural though) etc. I would go porcupine for sure.

meowzer

One thing I can add....QUARANTINE IT!!!!! A few months ago I added a porc puffer to my 54G reef tank.....well....it got ich (or I am guessing it had it)....infected my whole tank and I LOST EVERYTHING except a longfin sleeper goby, inverts and corals of course
I am now in the process of setting up a qt....so I can do hypo on the goby and leave the 54G empty for 2 months
It is my understanding that ALL PUFFERS are very prone to disease.....

I like the arothron puffer that would seem like a good choice, but I am not sure I can spend $150 on one though. Porcupine was my first choice because I liked how large they get, my only concern with them is eating all my snails and hermit crabs. I do have a 55 gallon coral tank that I could move most of my crustations into if it becomes a problem. Also I was wondering if a smaller Toby puffer would be less likely to bother my snails.
?Does anyone have any idea if a large puffer would harm my sea urchins???

Oh, wow! I had an ich problem and have lost everything before, I do have a quarintine tank. I do sometimes slack if a fish looks perfectly healthy to me, but yeah I will def. remember to quarantine it!