Was told I bought a Sebea anemone, but after looking closesly I think the tenticals are too long to be a Sebea. What do you think?

S

siptang

Hmmm I could be wrong but that looks like haitian anemome.. I have seen one with dye in it and it looked very similar to that..
Edit: after googling kinda does look like sebae as well. :/ sorry.

spanko

Heteractis crispa, Sebae anemone. That is a pretty nice one as it does have some color in the tentacles not just the purple tips. Feed it once per week and if you have the correct lighting, water quality you should see it color up nicely in a month or so.

btldreef

I think that is probably a seabae and it's extending it's tentacles in search of light. Seabae's aren't supposed to be that white in color, so it's very likely that it was starving and reaching for light in the tank it came out of. Hopefully you have sufficient lighting and can bring it back.

floods7

I have a coralife compact fluorescent 2x65 watt. Its also positioned towards the top of the tank, I will post pic soon of entire setup.
What kind of food should I be feeding it? and how much? And how often, only once a week?
Should I use a turkey baster to put the food in its mouth?

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389943/was-told-i-bought-a-sebea-anemone-but-after-looking-closesly-i-think-the-tenticals-are-too-long-to-be-a-sebea-what-do-you-think#post_3449838
Your lighting isn't going to be enough for an anemone.
Agree here. You will find some folks that will come on and say "I kept an anemone under PC lighting" but the largest percentage of success in really maintaining an anemone to its proper health will use light with more PAR than your current lighting is capable of. The true test will be in the anemone coloring up, the light tan parts you now have becoming a darker brown color or turning a different darker color with maybe a red hue to them.

snakeblitz33

Agreed, Spanko...
You know, it really is sad that the vast majority of anemones in captivity die because saltwater enthusiasts want to just get by with the bare minimum in their setups. Sad, but true.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by floods7 http:///t/389943/was-told-i-bought-a-sebea-anemone-but-after-looking-closesly-i-think-the-tenticals-are-too-long-to-be-a-sebea-what-do-you-think#post_3449899
i thought it was 3-5 watts per gallon.
and i have a 20G
Watts per gallon is pretty much outdated terminology. It is the PAR that makes the difference. This is how the light penetrates the water. There are several types of aquarium lighting and power compacts are among one of the weakest and do not penetrate the water very well. That being said, power compact lighting is not sufficient for keeping a nem long term.
Some info about sebae anemones: They prefer sandy bottoms and the ability to be seated in the sand up against the rocks. They can get fairly large. They really aren't suited for nano tanks. I would recommend at least a 55.

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/389943/was-told-i-bought-a-sebea-anemone-but-after-looking-closesly-i-think-the-tenticals-are-too-long-to-be-a-sebea-what-do-you-think#post_3449863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///t/389943/was-told-i-bought-a-sebea-anemone-but-after-looking-closesly-i-think-the-tenticals-are-too-long-to-be-a-sebea-what-do-you-think#post_3449838
Your lighting isn't going to be enough for an anemone.
Agree here. You will find some folks that will come on and say "I kept an anemone under PC lighting" but the largest percentage of success in really maintaining an anemone to its proper health will use light with more PAR than your current lighting is capable of. The true test will be in the anemone coloring up, the light tan parts you now have becoming a darker brown color or turning a different darker color with maybe a red hue to them.
Im one of them that have kept a nem under a pc now for 5 years...... DONT DO IT. My nem moves alot and tries to come out of the water almost reaching for light. Thats why im switching to a DIY LED fixture in the next week or so on a tank upgrade. I think the only saving grace for my nem is its a LTA and was the size of a quarter when i got it so it was babied in to my light. But once again save yourself that the nem the problems and get a better light now.
I also should have said that my PC is for a larger tank so it is alittle over powered from what i could have bought which could be another reason mine is still going strong and my nem is at the water surface.