Waste Water

bigal0221

Just wondering what some of you do with your waste water after water changes. I have a 125g and normally do 20-25g water changes and I will be adding a larger tank in the 400g range later this year or first of next year and am not sure what I should do with all of the waste water!

florida joe

I believe waste water contains the concentrated contaminants hence the name waste water I would not use it for any other application

Y

yoshii

Well I put it in buckets and use it as weed killer lol
And from my freshwater tank I use as fetilizer

bigal0221

Joe, I mispoke in my original post. I am asking how to dispose of the water. Will it kill my grass? Does it hurt my septic tank? etc...

hunt

I do about 5 gallon water changes weekly and i just dump the water down my sink. Weve been doing this for almost 5 years with no problems. ( i also have a septic tank)

bigal0221

Yeah, I have been pouring mine down the toilet, approx. 20 galloms per week for the past year but I am not sure if I am doing damage because I have a septic tank.

deejeff442

i talked to the septic service guy one time .he said not to put it in the septic as it will kill the bacteria in there.but i have read about alot of people doing it and not having a problem.myself i have 5 tanks so i dump alot of waste water.but i also live on 5 acres so i put it in buckets and drive my little red trailer to the back and dump it.

bigal0221

Yeah, unfortunately I am in an area where I do not have the luxury of dumping it outside. I guess I will continue to dump in the septic tank. I have made sure to add Rid-X every month to hopefully populate the bacteria.

garick

If you don't do alot of water changes. Couldn't you simply place the water in a bucket outside. Allowing it to evaporate only leaving salts that could go on the road. Like if you have a gravel road to kill of the plants messing with your road? Also if you put it into a run off tub near where your gutters drain, it could slowly be diluted and be harmless in your yard.
Unless its fresh water. Then its fine for the yard. In fact I used to drain goldfish water into my yard and where ever that water touched the grass would grow so huge and so thick that my mower wouldn't cut it :p

ryancw01

Originally Posted by bigal0221
http:///forum/post/3234471
Yeah, I have been pouring mine down the toilet, approx. 20 galloms per week for the past year but I am not sure if I am doing damage because I have a septic tank.
I put a pump in my tank with hose attatched and just pump it right into my sink.

bang guy

It you test your Ro waste water you will often find that it has a lower TDS reading that the source water it was purifying. That's because of the sediment and GAC filters before the RO membrane.
I use it for my swimming pool but it will work great in a washing machine or watering plants.

trainfever

Lately I have been using it to melt snow. lol
But normally I just drain it out back of my house. I have a train siding that runs behind my house. There is a hose that runs from outside my back door and down along the fence to the siding. I just hook another hose from my tank to the other hose, then just open a valve and drain off about 15 gallons. Then the hose gets connected to a pump inside a trash can that holds my freshly mixed saltwater that gets pumped back to my sump.