water advice please

rbaby

Hi guys,
My friend's anemone died a couple minutes ago and it clouded up the water. He knows that he can't do a full water change so we did a 20% water change.
What is the safest way to completely change the water w/o disrupting his cycle? It's been established for about 3 months now...
Do you recommend about a 5% water change every 2 days to help re-stabilize the water parameters or just a regular 10% water change every week should suffice? Thanks.

22caddy

Tank is way too new for an anemone. Keep doing the water changes and if you have a filter where you can run carbon, do that.

nas19320

Originally posted by bigarn
Are you saying it's still cycleing after 3 months?

I belive he/she is saying that they have a cycled tank but do not want to do such a large water change that it depletes the bacteria to a point where it can't support the current bio-load, thus beginning a mini-cycle.

bang guy

The bacteria that are responsible for filtration don't reside in the water column so feel free to do a 50% water change if you need to. You just need to be really careful with water changes above 20% to perfectly match Salinity, PH and temperature. 20% every day for a week would be safer and just as effective.

rbaby

His anemone was doing great until a rascal crab came and tore up its feet, it's been doing badly since then. But thank you everybody--
Bang Guy: So 10-15% water change for a week should suffice? The bacteria is really on the rocks and the sand isn't it? But if that's the case, why does a tank still cycle even if you use live rock and live sand as an initial set up? Thanks.
P.S. He does not have a carbon filter, just his protein skimmer...so I guess we will have to depend on the frequent water changes.

bang guy

Originally posted by rbaby
why does a tank still cycle even if you use live rock and live sand as an initial set up? Thanks.

Die-off.