Water back into aquarium

Chad C.

Hey, so last night I did a water change and ran across a problem I've had with freshwater forever, siphoning water back into the aquarium. I climbed a 12 ft ladder and held a 5 gallon bucket up there while still pumping my siphon hose for an hour thinking, there has to be a better way. I'm open for suggestions lol

lmforbis

I have a small 200 gph return pump that I use to mix the salt water then when I am ready to put it into the tank I attach some tubing and pump it into the tank. It typically takes me around half an hour to do a water change on 2 tanks.

bang guy

Coil your entire siphon hose into the bucket so it's completely full of water. Set the bucket just above the aquarium. Grab one end of the hose with your thumb over the opening and pull it out of the bucket and submerge the end into the aquarium. Ensure the other end of the hose is on the bottom of the bucket. Let go with your thumb.

pegasus

Hey, so last night I did a water change and ran across a problem I've had with freshwater forever, siphoning water back into the aquarium. I climbed a 12 ft ladder and held a 5 gallon bucket up there while still pumping my siphon hose for an hour thinking, there has to be a better way. I'm open for suggestions lol
Uhm... exactly how high up is your aquarium??? I'm like Imforbis... I let my pumps do all the work. ;)

beaslbob

Uhm... exactly how high up is your aquarium??? I'm like Imforbis... I let my pumps do all the work. ;)
+1

I remember having our then 17 years old grand daughter's boyfriend help move our old 55g to the porch. drained the water fish move tank and stand the asked the boyfriend how we're gonna get all that water back in the tank.

He looked really really frustrated at the work that he though still had to be done and all that weight.

Untill I said 'perhaps we should just use the sump return pump' :p;)

Chad C.

The top of my aquarium is about 6ft off the ground. Even with the bucket raised above the tank, I have to constantly pump my siphon to get water to squirting out (not steady flow). I was talking with a friend today and he said that he takes a large measuring cup and pours it gently in. Is this a decent method? I know pouring a whole 5 gallon bucket in out of the bucket can shock the fish. I do not have a sump if that helps anyone's picture of my situation.