Water change to reduce nitrate

jdj72

I have a 125 gallon that has been running for almost 2 years. It has had a very small clean-up crew, 3 fish and 150 pounds of live rock in it for most of that time. I have kind of let it go over the past while, no water changes ect. Now I plan on bringing it to life. I have checked all levels and all were perfect except P.H. and Nitrate. I have been doing 20% water changes every week for the past month and P.H. and everything else except Nitrates are now right. Nitrate is still about 80ppm, what percent water change would be safe to do and clear the Nitrate faster (i.e. 25% 50% 75%) and at what rate (i.e. 2 days, 4 days)? Thanks for any information.

saltfan

If you have been doing 20% water changes for a month, what every week? What were your readings before you started doing the water changes? Your trates should already started to come down. But still at 80??Hmm, what are you running filter wise? Have you cleaned those out also? Sounds to me like you have a trate trap in there somewhere that you haven't found yet.

jdj72

Nitrates were off my test scale, so they have come down greatly. Just wanted to get it done a little faster.

saltfan

Originally Posted by jdj72
Nitrates were off my test scale, so they have come down greatly. Just wanted to get it done a little faster.
Patience in this game is harder for some people to aquire. But, this is what is needed in order not to kill everything you have worked hard for.

moneyman

I would to 50% water change. Do you have something to mix 75 gallon? I would put in the new mix slowly, over 2-3 hours. It's kinda like how one would acclimate new fish.