Water Changes

ryanlee

I have heard of people doing something like 30 to 50% water changes once a week during the cycle. Does this speed up it up or slow it down?

moby

You really don't want to do a water change until the end of the cycle.
This insures a sufficient amount of ammonia is present in the beginning to start the cycle. By changing the water you will prolong the time it takes to complete the entire process.
It is generally accepted to wait until the ammonia and nitrite is no longer present in measureable amounts.
Hope this helps, welcome to the forums and this insanely fun/ interesting hobby.
Moby

ryanlee

Thanks for the helpful information. I was just curious because I read somewhere on the Drs site (Foster & Smith) about adding live rock to a new tank which said something about doing weekly water changes as soon as the live rock was added and the cycle started. I wasn't sure how that would affect the cycle in any way.

N

nereef

i would think that would make the ammonia and nitrite levels inadequate in order to form adequate nitrate producing bacteria.

N

nereef

during a cycle, the important thing is to have an ammonia spike and drop, followed by a nitrite spike and drop, and finally a slow increase in nitrate levels. once a week water changes will than keep you nitrate levels in check after the cycle has finished.
have you started cycling yet?

bang guy

Originally Posted by RyanLee
I have heard of people doing something like 30 to 50% water changes once a week during the cycle. Does this speed up it up or slow it down?
Changing water when Ammonia is high does not significantly speed up nor slow down the cycle. It does allow for a lot more hitchhikers to survive the cycle.
If ammonia gets too high it will begin to kill off the small animals living in the rock. This will make the rock less effective as filtration and reduces the diversity of the animals in your live rock.
If Ammonia gets really high it will start to slow down the cycle as it hinders the growth of the bacteria in the nitrogen cycle.
When I cycle a tank I try to maintain Ammonia under 0.5ppm. If Ammona climbs above this level I do an appropriately sized waterchange, ie. if ammona = 1.0ppm I'd do a 50% waterchange to get it below 0.5ppm.

ryanlee

Not yet. I'm still waiting on my LR. I read a post on this forum that stated that too much of an ammonia spike could kill off the bacteria. I did some research and couldn't really find any info that supported this.

ryanlee

If ammonia gets too high it will begin to kill off the small animals living in the rock. This will make the rock less effective as filtration and reduces the diversity of the animals in your live rock.
Does that include bacteria? And to answer NEreef's question, no I haven't cycled my tank yet. I'm still waiting for my LR. I'm not wanting to make any errors when I do start cycling though.

N

nereef

its a good decision to wait until you know how you want to do it.
bang guy, that's pretty interesting, as always.

moby

Hey Bang Guy, I agree, but IMO this would be the only time I think you would change the water until the cycle was over.
Moby

dogstar

As Bang said, the high amounts of ammonia or nitrates or other toxins leaking from rocks ect. will cause hitchhickers to start to die off and that will cause "more ammonia" and that will make the cycle take longer....no need to too much bacteria if your not goimg to provide that much livestock to substain it. Lack of bio-load will cause the extra bacteria to die off anyway. The cycle is to grow enough bacteria you need to put in a few fish safely and as you slowly add livestock then the bacteria will keep up. Best to feed a cycleing/cycled tank a small amount of fish food for a while to simulate haveing fish and to balance the amounts of bacteria, while doing water changes and running filters, skimmers and lights as well.

mixtimp

I cycled my tank with 100lbs of live sand. I let it run for about 2 months, then I added 100lbs of live rock, and the ammonia levels never spiked at all for the rock, and it didn't cause any die-off. The rock seeded my sand, and everything is peachy now :)

moby

I think the only time the ammonia gets out of hand is if you are using uncured LR.
In my experience otherwise there aren't any issues with excessive amounts building up.
Moby