I tested my parameters tonight and they are as follows:
pH 8.2
alk 2.5
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PO4 0
Ca 460
Should any of these be adjusted? If so, which one(s) and how should I go about doing it.
My Ca has been 460 since I switched to Oceanic salt. I was using IO. I like the Oceanic, my coralline has been spreading a lot faster since I started using the Oceanic, but my Ca level never seems to drop. Shouldn't it drop as the coralline uses it?
I've been having a HA problem, but I've got another route to go before I start blaming the salt. (I changed the lighting in my fuge, I think that may be the issue)
On occassions my pH will be down around 7.8-8.

sergeant

Your water parameters are just like mine and I dont have any problems in my tank. How is your salinity and temperature?

ohioreef

Oops, guess I did forget those 2 important parameters....
My temp is 78 and salinity is 35ppt with a refractometer.
My tank is about 9 months old and yes I have a fuge with chaeto growing in it.
Apparently my tank isn't using Ca and the Ca level is pretty consistent with my Oceanic, so I guess I need to raise the alk. Will baking soda work for that or would I be better off using one of the 2-part additives and only adding the alk portion?
I've also thought about going back to the IO salt and only using the Oceanic when I see my Ca getting low or possibly mixing them 50/50. Does anyone have any thoughts on that idea?
Thanks!!!

bang guy

Baking soda will be just fine to raise your ALK. Don't do it all at once though.
Using IO as the staple and then Oceanic to bump up Ca makes sense to me.

ohioreef

Thanks Bang.
That's the way I'm leaning. I really like the increased coralline growth that I've been seeing lately.

ohioreef

Bang,
I did a water change today and retested.
My alk was still 2.5, but my Ca had dropped to 420. My pH is 8.2.
Looks pretty balanced to me. I'm guessing that I should just let it be, correct?

ohioreef

Thanks Bang.
I'm going to watch the levels closely for the next week or so, hopefully everything has stabilized now.
But, I kinda doubt it will be THAT easy.......