water params - definitive numbers

jacksonpt

numbers get thrown around all the time... let's have a definitive post about water parameters for a typical reef tank. What are the ideal levels/numbers for the following parameters? What are acceptable ranges, i.e. varriance from the ideal that can still be acceptable (I know this one will be more arbitrary, but it could be helpful for people really struggling with their water)? Please be sure to include the measurement type (ppm, etc.)
temp
salinity
pH
alkalinity
calcium
nitrates
nitrites
phosphates
ammonia
iodine
anything else the average reef tank should be watching?

jacksonpt

There... happy now? ;) ;)
I thought about listing it originally, but I didn't think the average reefer tests iodine. In any case... more knowledge is always good.

broomer5

I can only say what I try to keep my numbers at in MY tank.
salinity = 36 ppt or 1.025 @ 81 F
pH = 8.0 to 8.3
alkalinity 10 dKH
calcium 380-420 ppm
nitrates less than 5 ( non detectable ideal )
nitrites 0.0
phosphates 0.0
ammonia 0.0

bang guy

When looking at ideal levels it helps to first look at NSW levels found on the reefs where our animals come from and then make allowances for the small scale out aquariums are confined to.
NSW Levels

[hr]
salinity - 35-36ppt
pH - 8.2-8.3
alkalinity - 2.0Meq/L
calcium - 400ppm
nitrates - I have no idea??
nitrites - 0.0ppm
phosphates - 0.0ppm
ammonia - 0.0ppm
iodine - 0.02ppm
I would make allowance for ALK to be higher. And to maintain a Ca balance I would also try to raise Ca a tad.
I think temp is missing from the list. The reefs where out animals come from vary quite a bit in temp. from a low range of 77F - 83F at the Great Barrier Reef to the highly productive Kapingamarangi Reef where temps range from a low of 84F to a high of 88F. These numbers are monthy averages, and not daily highs and lows.

tigershark

I have read that you want to keep your reef at or below 80F because some corals will bleach it the temp goes above 80. Is this true or what temp would be a safe max to keep softies, LPS and maybe some sps corals?

jrb384

broomer and bang guy,
concerning NitrIte, and NitrAtes.
i've read some other posts and most people stated that during the first 6 months of their systems life, they had difficulty stabalizing Nitrites and nitrates. I guess its from the biological system needing time to break in and function.
given that, what are acceptable levels in the early stages of a reef system? and what can you do to lower these levels?
water changes? any chemicles or additives?
thanks.
jb

bang guy

Originally posted by TigerShark
I have read that you want to keep your reef at or below 80F because some corals will bleach it the temp goes above 80. Is this true or what temp would be a safe max to keep softies, LPS and maybe some sps corals?

Everyone will have a different answer to this. I believe it depends quite a bit on the tank.
Personally I would never allow my reef to fall below 80F nor above 90F. I maintain 82 - 83F currently, but it's still a learning experience.
I think if we could maintain perfct water conditions then 85F would be ideal. Since we can't be perfect on the water it's going to be trial & error on what works best for you.

jrb384

there is an article about water temp in the annual reef magazine. the one with the funky sea dragon on the front. anyways, the author covers alot on water temps, basically, in the wild, fish can swim from shallow, warmer water, to deep colder water, and find what is just right for them. in your tank the temp really doesnt change much from the top to bottom, the magazine says in the 70's reef keepers preached temps in the low 70's, and now there preaching the mid 70's to low 80's. He basically also says, that the fewer fish the better for reef tanks (for temp purposes)
anyways, i keep mine at 81 day and night. been lucky, it doesnt fluctuate at all.