water poisoning

fishdreams

Hey all, I was wondering if I would be able to add some established LS to one of my tanks from a different tank or if this would hurt my water somehow? I heard it could but wasnt sure.
Thanks!

msd2

Well you get different 'critters' from someone elses tank. Your tank has different live rock/sand so it might have come with different pods, etc. So I take a scoop which has a lot of em in it and they get to establish a new home in my tank. vice versa for u when u take a scoop of mine. Personally I would only do this if you know the tank it comes from and know its maintained well. While the odds are its not going to hurt it if someone had dosed copper it would reek havoc on ur reef.

msd2

Originally posted by Bot587
I heard it could start a cycle, but that doesnt sound right to me.

Hmm im not sure how it could, it would jumpstart your tank if your cycling but I dont see how it could start your tank cycling agian.

bang guy

If the sand was not treated well or in the bag too long then the die-off could start a small cycle. The nose test will tell you if you should use it.

fishdreams

I have a neighbor that is into the hobby and he has some live sand that I wanted to use for my nano. I know he doesnt use copper at all so I guess Ill see if he can get me some.

hassasin

:notsure:
This is probably the dumbest question in the world, but my brother asked, and I didnt have an answer. Can one go to the ocean and take sand from the sea. I imagine there are many drawbacks, maybe has some sickness for example, but I was just wondering. Please dont make too much fun of me for the stupid question.

birdy

don't feel stupid, this question gets asked all the time, unless you can rent a boat and go about 10mi off shore and dive down and collect you really shouldn't, the pollutants up close to shore could be very bad for your tank. Now people do collect close to shore and don't have problems but it isn't worth the chance to me. Also I am not sure what the regulations are on collecting sand.

bot587

Also the location depends, if you are near an industrial area.... forget it. But if you go to a tropical are, for example florida, wade out a bit and you can probably get decently culture and cured sand (big risk, big profit IMO)