Water Storage...

mindy2577

So I have purchased a 20 gallon rubbermaid trashcan to store water in.
My question is this...should I check my levels in the can regularly? And if there is ammonia...what would be a good practice to get this down?

sickboy

This bin is for RO water, correct?
If so, there should not be ammonia in there. You could measure the TDS though...

mindy2577

Unfortunetly no..
I am using tap water until I can save enough money for a nice RO.
I wish I would have known about this site when I started....

meowzer

If you are using tap water, why do you need to store it?
NOW if you are talking about mixing you salt water for changes....you only mix it 1-2 days in advance....put a powerhead and heater in bucket to aerate.

mindy2577

It will be for mixing salt for water changes.
I had mixed up a batch on friday and checked the levels. Everything is was normal except Ammonia, which was at 1.00. However when I checked it yesterday Ammonia went down to .50.
So I can't store the salt water for like a week? I am trying to get my Nitrates down in my DT, and I was told that I would need to do a big water change. So I am trying to prepare for that.

mindy2577

Yes.
I even rinsed out the bucket before I used it. When I get home tonight I will check it again. Its weird because when I would do a water change before, there was never any ammonia. Im wondering if maybe its just something in the bucket?!?!

meowzer

Or maybe something is wrong with your test kit? Maybe someone else has a clue...I didn't think "NEW" saltwater would have ammonia...

E

eric b 125

not quite sure it would make a difference with ammonia, but do you use well water or is it city water?

mindy2577

I called the city department and asked them about this. They said that we have a slim chance of getting anything and I laughed. However it costs $30 for EACH test to be done. I couldn't believe that.