Water temp 82

alsie

Added a refugium which has lights on 24-7 and water temp is now a constant 82 up from 79 in main tank. I run my aquaspacelight 12 hours a day. My Mags ( return pump & skimmer pump ) are not running hot. House temp is in the 70's. Inhabitants do not seem bothered. Am I in trouble? Can anyone tell me what the min & max temp should be?

buzz

82 is actually a good temp. That is what I keep my tank at with the lights on during the day. Drops down to around 80 overnight after the lights go off.
The main thing to watch out for is a high fluctuation in temp. IMO, I wouldn't let it get above 84 though.
*EDIT* Kip beat me to it...:D

alsie

I'm relieved !!!! Thanks for releiving my fears of losing inhabs of my tank!! (mainly digging up $$$$ for a chiller)

bang guy

IMO 82 is a better temp than 79 but I caution you to not let it dip to 79 at night. I suggest you reset your heaters to about 81F.

jb1

mine sometimes goes up to 82 when lights are on and 80 when off so you will be fine

Somoen said to avoid major changes. You guys realize that reefs are not set in temp and that in some areas, (lagoons, reef walls for example) they can change wildly especially when the tide changes and starts pouring in. As for fish, lower temps are actually better because their metabolism goes down in lower temps. There has been research done to the effect where fish will migrate to the cooler areas in the reefs for this reason. Also you have less incidence of illness in the 76-80 temp range.

bang guy

Originally posted by Terminus Est
You guys realize that reefs are not set in temp and that in some areas, (lagoons, reef walls for example) they can change wildly

Yes, and the animals that live there have adapted to the changes. Most of us have mixed reefs and that means some animals may be present that have not adapted to rapid temperature changes.

Here is some info I was able to dig up on short notice out of Scott Michaels Reef fishes "While a coral reef ecosystem, as a whole, may be more stable than many other aquatic or terrestrial biomes, parameters such as light level, temeprature, salinity, water movement, water quality and substrate type can vary in time and space- from tide to tide, from one niche or habitat to the next- on the very same reef as well as from one reef to another"
another- "The temperature on the Heron island reef flat may increase 6c (11 degrees F) during low tide. Temperature changes are often sudden, when the cooler water from the fore reef irrigates the reef flat at high tide.
OK the fish stuff I found involved yellow tangs when I saw it before on another site. There is another mention here involving Yellow Longnose Butterflies doing the same thing. Um just read Reef fishes, there are several pages dedicated to temperature and the whys of keeping it cool. A good example was used, a jeweled damselfish at 77F bit the substrate 225 times while at 82F it bit it 425 times for a 52% increase in food comsumption.
It also mentions parasites not reproducing as well in cooler water. Fish also do not grow as fast, and some fish are less aggressive at cooler temps. The book is way more interesting than I am though.

j-cal

I run my tank without a heater! I know its prolly not the best to do things like me but i think u should consider whats in your tank (i dont know so i wont give advice). My tank stays about 78 during the day and 76 at night. Point being, I have two orange base anemones. I used to keepm the tanks at my store and tanks at my house 82ish (plus or minus 1). My first 2 anemones at home did rather poorly so i talked to some friends who adivsed me to try to keep my tank at 75. I booted the heater and now my corals and anemones are doing great. I really think the reason is the lower temp (at least for the anemones). All i have and 2 true percs and a gramma and both are bulletproof, so im nto sure that the temp affects them that much. All in all tho, im in favor of "cooler" tanks