Water Temp Problem (pump related?)

jon in tx

Water temp has suddenly become a problem for me and I'd appreciate some advice. I noticed my temp reading wasn't working anymore (max of 86 degrees) & assumed it quit working. However, when I got another, it read 90 (so perhaps it is still working, temp > 86)?!!
I've had my tank for years and the temp stayed 80-82 year around. On July 4th (of all days), my pump quit working and I ended up finding similar, but not exact replacement at Lowe's - it's made for waterfalls with high flow rate of 2000gph. I believe my other one was only 1000gph but I figured I'd be better off with this in my 90gal vs next best thing which was like 800gph.
Questions: Could this new pump be adding 7-8 degrees to my water temp?! I have lost 1 fish since (puffer) but have 8 seemingly healthy fish still alive - if temp were truly 90, could my fish survive?! I have 5 damsels, clown, blue tang, wrasse & starfish. P.S. The airtemp in my house is 76 as I keep it during the summer - any other theories / suggestions??!

bang guy

Generally speaking, each 10 gph will add about the same amount of heat to the water as a 1 watt heater. So, your old 1000 gph pump added about the same amount of heat to the tank as a 100 watt heater and your new 2000gph pump adds about the same heating as a 200 watt heater.
So, yes, it's likely the extra heat is coming from the extra waterflow. Also check to make sure no heater controllers have failed and are stuck on.
Most tropical fish can handle 90F just fine as long as it's stable. Have you considered using a small fan to speed up evaporation? Evaporating water is about the best way to cool a tank.

jon in tx

I did check both my heaters which were set on 80 and not on.
Good idea on the fan - I'll have to see if I can find a little one. I assume you mean to set-up in the sump area under the tank? I have a hood on my tank so no way to do it in the tank itself, right?