Water Test Kit Brand Recommendations?

boohbahbah

We're about to run low on the test kit we currently have, it just refers itself as "Saltwater Master Test Kit" (came with the used aquarium we have) and it has that little doctor fish image on it..
What brands does everyone recommend? Would like to try something different and possibly a kit that includes other tests besides ph, nitrate, nitrite & ammonia...so we don't have to go hunting for our other tests in different containers and whatnot. our other tests seem a little outdated as well...unless this sort of stuff doesn't expire? let me know!

flower

Originally Posted by boohbahbah
http:///forum/post/3192086
We're about to run low on the test kit we currently have, it just refers itself as "Saltwater Master Test Kit" (came with the used aquarium we have) and it has that little doctor fish image on it..
What brands does everyone recommend? Would like to try something different and possibly a kit that includes other tests besides ph, nitrate, nitrite & ammonia...so we don't have to go hunting for our other tests in different containers and whatnot. our other tests seem a little outdated as well...unless this sort of stuff doesn't expire? let me know!

Try Instant Ocean Master Reef, it has a Phosphate and a calcium test besides the PH, alkalinity, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia tests...

Test kits are good as rule for 1 year, there should be an expiration date printed on the box.

boohbahbah

I've looked all over the packages and there's no expiration anywhere...I just seem to run into the lot numbers, which doesn't help a lot.

I'll check that kit out, thanks.

They still seem to be accurate, since our results are the same as the LFS, whenever we go visit them.

flower

http:///forum/post/3192227
I've looked all over the packages and there's no expiration anywhere...I just seem to run into the lot numbers, which doesn't help a lot.

I'll check that kit out, thanks.

They still seem to be accurate, since our results are the same as the LFS, whenever we go visit them.

Instant Ocean has little color chips, and is much more accurate to read than a color coded paper to compare the test to.
Paper depends on the ink it was printed out with, for how light or dark the color is, since lighter or darker determines the test results, it can be very confusing.

boohbahbah

It is definitely hard to compare the test tubes to colors on paper! It stresses us out sometimes.

The Instant Ocean kits look very nice..according to one site, each kit has 20 tests of each thing...is that the only quantity option available? We have 3 tanks, I think we'd go through that quick! (We test every other week!)

flower

http:///forum/post/3192242
It is definitely hard to compare the test tubes to colors on paper! It stresses us out sometimes.

The Instant Ocean kits look very nice..according to one site, each kit has 20 tests of each thing...is that the only quantity option available? We have 3 tanks, I think we'd go through that quick! (We test every other week!)

You can buy individual refills of tests you run out of. It is just the test packs, the color chips must be bought in the master kit first, far as I know.

boohbahbah

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3192246

You can buy individual refills of tests you run out of. It is just the test packs, the color chips must be bought in the master kit first, far as I know.
Thanks for the info! I would have never thought of refill packs for this sort of thing. This has just made everything sound a little better! :D

J

jstdv8

Im not very happy with my red sea kit. the colors are not very differnt from one perameter to the next so its hard to tell if you are good or not.
I do like the larger test tubes though, easier to work with.
I also have an API kit for PH, ammonia, trites and trates and it has the smaller test tubes that all get filled the same and thier colors are alot easier to distinguish one from another. The API is easier to use than red sea all the way around except the tubes themselves. I like to use a measured syringe to pull out the 5ml, alot easier than dipping the vial in the water and trying to pour out the right amount.
Those are the only two Ive used so I thought I'd throw my .02 on them.
Ohh, I also have a siefert phospahte test kit and its easy to use but the colors are very very close to each other so its really hard to tell where you are..... of course if i was at 0 like I should be there would be no color at all..... but still. :)

sparky101

I use the salifert kits. I`ve heard from alot of people on here that they are very accurate. a little pricey compaRed to other brands but worth it

truperc

I have used API and Salifert primarily. I have been moving away from API generally.
Most reefers I have spoken to, including myself, do not test for nitrites and ammonia after the initial cycle. (or very rarely)
As a result, I tend to stay clear of master kits that include nitrites and ammonia.
I purchase those tests separately if required.

btldreef

API is fine for phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, pH and copper. It's the most commonly used and easiest to find. They're calcium test is AWFUL!
I like Salifert much better for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and ammonia.
The Red Sea PRO is pretty accurate for calcium readings as well, but it's around $20 for 15 tests or so.
I only test my nitrite and ammonia if something is wrong or about once every 4-6 weeks.
Buy the cheap API test and add the pieces you need to it from the other brands.

J

jstdv8

Oh son of a..... Thats the calcium test I have is the API. Funnest test Ive ever used.
Is it awfull becasue it takes so long or it isnt accurate?

geoj

API Calcium will give you a reading every 20ppm this is close enough for me to keep in a range of 420-500ppm.
API Copper test does not read low enough for me to use would not read .003ppm

J

jstdv8

first time I used it i thought it was the coolest thing how you are adding drops and adding drops and the color is jsut pink pink pink and all of a sudden 1 small drop makes the whole thing go blue. I invited my family over to witness the coolness of it all LOL

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3194776
first time I used it i thought it was the coolest thing how you are adding drops and adding drops and the color is jsut pink pink pink and all of a sudden 1 small drop makes the whole thing go blue. I invited my family over to witness the coolness of it all LOL

I agree the test is cool! I think those feelings are lost on those that do not keep SW tanks. I can imagine the look on my familie's faces.
Um...you brought us over here for that.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3194496
Oh son of a..... Thats the calcium test I have is the API. Funnest test Ive ever used.
Is it awfull becasue it takes so long or it isnt accurate?
It's not accurate, in my opinion. My calcium reading was off by about 60ppm from what the API test read to what the Salifert, Red Sea Pro and the SeaChem (which I can't stand, but even that was more accurate than the API). I even had it checked w/ two LFS's and they got the same reading that I got. 60ppm off is way, way too much for me, especially when I have a clam and SPS in this tank. By the way, the API kit read off by this much in two separate tanks that I keep.
Originally Posted by GeoJ

http:///forum/post/3194559
API Calcium will give you a reading every 20ppm this is close enough for me to keep in a range of 420-500ppm.
API Copper test does not read low enough for me to use would not read .003ppm
I barely even test for copper, but when I have used it, it's worked for me. Have you even tested the API Calcium against a different test kit? I thought it was great until I tested it against others and, yeah, not even close.

J

jstdv8

sadly the API is the only one I have. Ive had good luck with the reef basics API so I bought the same for calcium. I guess I'll have to go get it checked at the LFS and see what they come up with

J

jstdv8

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3194779

I agree the test is cool! I think those feelings are lost on those that do not keep SW tanks. I can imagine the look on my familie's faces.
Um...you brought us over here for that.

yeah, LOL, thats pretty much what happend

geoj

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3194791
I barely even test for copper, but when I have used it, it's worked for me. Have you even tested the API Calcium against a different test kit? I thought it was great until I tested it against others and, yeah, not even close.
I also use Salifert. Because Salifert is harder to use I had to test more then once till I got 3 readings that were the same. This may be why you could get different numbers from one kit to another. If the kit is harder it takes longer to become consistent and with calcium that is what maters. You reference the calcium number to the growth you get from the corals so if you are off by 10ppm it really does not make any difference. When I only need to be between 420-500ppm I will use the cheep API if I need more precision then I use Salifert or some other.