Water > yellowish-brown coloration

bang guy

Posted 12/2/2003
Originally posted by beaslbob
first of all veryfy your test kit by having your LFS test your water. I once thought I had pegged my nitrAtes but the kit was reading too high. So instead of 160ppm+++ I only had 40 ppm.

Posted 12/9/2003
Originally posted by beaslbob

Buzz all I can say is experience. I had nitrAtes go from 160ppm to 0.0 in three weeks in a newly established tank with no circulation, no water changes, and a single baby molly in a 20g. Water changes would never have been that effective. An example of 10% changes is:

hmmmmmmm :confused:

beaslbob

bang: good to point out. The 160+ down to 0.0 was after a fish had died and badly decomposed for three days when i first setup my 20g. The test kit was brand new. Under those conditions It is very believable I was well over 160PPm nitrAtes. I then received my first macro shipment and started cultureing the macos in that tank. With the same test kit mitrates fell to 0.0 in three weeks.
The erroneous readings was from another test kit 8 months later in two seperate tanks. In that case there were many indications the kit was reading too high. Not only had no fish died but all fish and inverts continued to be healthy and the inverts even molted. Additionally there was no algae boom or other indication the nitrAtes had risen.

lemonshark

:nervous:
I'm sorry to say that my yellow tang looks like it won't make it through the night.
He is swimming higher and a bit sideway, but controling its balance and a with a sad
face.
I still don't know where is my blue hippo or my six line wrasse. They are still hiding I guess.
Tomorrow I will ask my local fish store for plants.

dreeves

Seems like you should tank your yellow tang out and put him in a hospital tank for now...
"Bobs outta his mind"..hahhahaha

lemonshark

Yes, I will have a refugium really soon, as soon as I call my local fish store.
BTW... My yellow tang is not dead just yet... he seams to be fighting for his life. He is back to his favorite place, though he is not eating, his not swimming towards the top of the tank nor swimming sideways.
I hope he makes it… one thing though, Blue tang has not shown up yet. He went hiding for four days now.
My Royal Gramma, six line, two green chromis, two engineers they are all doing well.
Q. how good or bad is to take care of a feather star? :confused:

bang guy

Originally posted by LemonShark
Q. how good or bad is to take care of a feather star? :confused:

Very difficult...actually impossible.

toddpolish

this is a wild thread.
just not sure why the guy waited around before he did a water change and turn the skimmer on full time, but ...live and learn. Hope your water clears up and I hope you're using RODI water.

jrittz

You people amaze me. You hijack this thread to get your personal arguements out in the open. Everybody has their own methods of solving a problem and they may actually work but you do not take the time to contribute to the solution, rather, arguing and confusing the person who needs help the most.
Lemon, you will find everybody has their own opinion about a subject. It is up to you to decipher and determine what you think will help you most. It is up to you to read the replies and decide. This is why this board is open to everybody to post.. because everybody has their own opinion.
Flaming
someone for posting what has worked for them is lame. If you truely want to flame someone, send them a private message and quit wasting space and people's time. :D
Jrittz

tony detroit

Nobody is flaming here. Just pointing out the obvious. Plants are not a solve all. Plants are good, but not the cure for everything. Most likely you should
1. Skim 24hrs a day
2. Change 25% total system volume per month. 5%weekly changes or more are best
3. Change filter pads bi-weekly or more
4. Provide adequate biological filtration
5. Find your two missing fish, if it has been this long they're probably dead and are going to spike your levels worse.
good luck
Also if I might add keeping any tang is not easy. There is no tang that I would call Beginner or Easy myself. I would say that they are more of an anvanced to expert species that require a good amount of knowledge before you will really successfully keep them.

lemonshark

1. Skim 24hrs a day
I can't... doesn’t is removes plankton or any other additives?
Please tell me, what additives can a skimmer remove from the water?
2. Change 25% total system volume per month. 5%weekly changes or more are best
I will do that
3. Change filter pads bi-weekly or more
This is a mechanical filtration. If I go with the sump, I guess I’ll use a sock.
4. Provide adequate biological filtration
Biological Filtration, as plants, deep sand bed, Live Rock, etc ??
I have planty of rocks... but not much sand.
5. Find your two missing fish, if it has been this long they're probably dead and are going to spike your levels worse.
Just one is missing. Blue tang… The yellow tang is holding on… and I don’t know how long he will hold.
My tang was doing fine just before the light went out on Saturday the 6th. When the light went out for over 12 hours, that did something bad to the water.

tony detroit

Originally posted by LemonShark
1. Skim 24hrs a day
I can't... doesn’t is removes plankton or any other additives?
Please tell me, what additives can a skimmer remove from the water?
When the light went out for over 12 hours, that did something bad to the water.

Yes it does, but with your fish load and the fact that you don't have a $10,000 display of corals, I would most definitely skim 24/7 if I was you.
I don't think the lights going out did anything to your water

lemonshark

I will do all tests today when I get home from work.
but, for now, I need to get rid of the hang-on filter that I currently have.
what do you guys think if I get these two filter systems:
Nu-Clear Canister Filters
Kent Marine Nautilus Skimmer
I would use the Nu-Clear to filter water... then dump the water to sump, skimmer will take it from there... finally back to the main tank.
If there is a beter way... please let me know. keep in mind that the price tag on these two range from $140- 150. I don't want to spend $400 on a skimmer alone.

beaslbob

lemon I don't blame you. I would skip the skimmer.
If you are going to set up a sump you could do all of your filtering there. That way you don't have an ugly external filter in the display.

buzz

Jrittz - sorry buddy, but you are way off base. No one hijacked the thread except for you. All other posts were written about the problem at hand, except for yours, which was intended to chastise only, with nothing constructive to add- and it would seem you didn't even really read the replies, or you would have seen the beneficial information within.
At this point, I think that Lemon is on the fast track to fixing his problem. Why? Because he didn't dump a million plants in his tank. He took an aggressive approach, using water changes, and is now upgrading his system to prevent future problems.
I think we helped Lemon not make a costly mistake by relying solely on plants as a corrective measure for his problem, and informed him of the best, fastest methods of resolving the issue at hand.
Now, with that having been said - Lemon, have you been continuing the water changes? Or did you only do that one? You need to keep them up until the levels are down.
Also, yes. Please let us know the new readings once you have them. I hope things are taking a turn for the better.

bang guy

From the latest study I've seen it appears that Skimmers remove organic proteins and not much else. They don't remove plankton, Calcium, Iodine, etc in any appreciable amount.

lemonshark

I found the source of the ammonia. Blue Tang, dead, inside rock holes where cleaners could not reach to feast on it.
I tested the water, ammonia at 0.50 (might go down now after removing the dead fish), Nitrite at 0, Nitrate at 80ppm (down from 160 after water change on Monday) and pH at 8.4
Thank you guys for all your help, I will buy the protein skimmer and I’m considering buying the canister filter. Later, I will work on the refugium.

buzz

Sorry about the blue tang. But yes, your ammonia should dissipate now that you have removed the source. Nitrates at 80 are much better, but still a bit high. I still would really encourage at least one more large water change, maybe two.
Sounds like you are making good progress here. I hope you are breathing a little easier. I know your remaining fish should be soon! :yes:

lemonshark

Thanks Buzz
My yellow tang looks strong but it won't eat.
If I need additional help, I will open a new topic and I will make additional water changes this Saturday and Sunday.
Thanks again to all !!
BTW... When I came home from work... the light went out again... I don't know for how long it was out... but I sure hope nothing happens again.
Marry Christmas!! :happyfish

beckzilla

I just went through this whole thread and have almost split my intestines in two laughing from the replies bealbob has come up with. Obviously the color of the sky on his planet is not the same as ours. I have read a boatload (BTW, how much exactly is a boatload?) of posts on this site and have learned boatloads. (Here we go again.) It is inherently apparent that the good people like Kipass and Bangguy have a plithera of knowledge and their advice should be taken in their fullest. Anyways, Lemonshark, through all the info i have gathered here this is what i have determined is the best setup for most people: sump with the best skimmer you can possibly afford (Euroreef) and run it 24/7. Refugium big enough for your display, do REGULAR water changes and check your levels constantly with a good test kit and most of all be patient.As for bealbobs advice-
:notsure: their coming to take him away haha they are coming to take him away.