watts per gal

N

nemo_66

that is a lie to me. i kept a bubble tip under 3.25 watts per gallon. now it is no longer because i redid the rockwork and it wondered a little to far :(

viper_930

IMO the watts per gallon formula isn't at all a good way to judge lighting for a tank, especially with smaller tanks.

useskaforevil

watts per gallon is near useless. it doesent compensate for depth. and it doesent comepensate for inefficent lighting. how deep did you want it and what kind of lights do you have/want?

cowfishrule

its a rule of thumb, the wpg-
i successfully kept a bta with 3.25/wpg- it was about mid-height in the tank.

75bownut

Does the WPG methond take into account the lose of gallons due to placemet of live rock??? IE I have a 120 gallon tank with 150 lbs of rock in it. That amount of rock displaces , ??? gallon :notsure:

yerboy

Originally Posted by 75bownut
Does the WPG methond take into account the lose of gallons due to placemet of live rock??? IE I have a 120 gallon tank with 150 lbs of rock in it. That amount of rock displaces , ??? gallon :notsure:
No it doesnt take into account how much water loss due to rock.
WPG is not an exact measurement to decide if a coral will or will no survive.
It all depends on how far away the coral is from the light.

debbie

Okay, let me ask this then.
When talking about "full spectrum lights" is this the closet thing to "natural light"??
When we talk about 50/50 lights, what kind of light is the white one "full spec"??
How do you know when a light is a "full spectrum light"??
Which is better for the fish and corals, "50/50 or straight full spectrum"??
And lastley, what purpose does "actinic" lighting play in the saltwater aquarium?? Nourishment for light loving corals or for the esthetic point of view??

If anyone could answer these 5 questions for me that would be greatly appreciated.

bang guy

When talking about "full spectrum lights" is this the closet thing to "natural light"??
Yep.
When we talk about 50/50 lights, what kind of light is the white one "full spec"??
Typically it's called Daylight.
How do you know when a light is a "full spectrum light"??
It will say Daylight on the bulb or package. Some bulbs are whiter, some are bluer, some are more yellow.
Which is better for the fish and corals, "50/50 or straight full spectrum"??
It doesn't really matter all thet much. Just get lighting in the color that makes you fish and corals look best to you.
And lastley, what purpose does "actinic" lighting play in the saltwater aquarium?? Nourishment for light loving corals or for the esthetic point of view??
esthetics