watts per gallon for refugium?

guppie

It all depends on what you will be keeping in it. I have a 60w grow bulb over mine and my caulerpa grows like crazy.

nickoz

guppie,
What size is your refugium?
Also what do you have in your refugium?
Do you have a DSB in your refugium?
-nick

guppie

It's about 5-6gals, have a 3in live sand bed, lr rubble, and the caulerpa. It is a custom design that I made in my sump.

firnobulax

guppie,
when you refer to "grow bulb" are you talking about a generic hardware store plant light? or an aquatic light(ie. coralilfe)?
I'm also looking to attach a refugium to my tank and am interested in what others are doing for lighting.
- Ian

guppie

nick
It is a plant grow bulb that I picked up in walmart. I had an old work light reflector that helps direct the light. I have to harvest the caulerpa about every week. I think it all depends on what size the refugium is and what you put in it. I know of a couple of other people that do it the same way.

kandr

I bought an 18" Fluorescent over the kitchen sink fixture at Home Depot for $8. Comes with a bulb. But i'm ordering a 15 watt, 50/50 combination daylight and actinic bulb for $15. I believe this will work well.

blondenaso1

guppie, I went to Walmart about a week ago and got one of those lights. If it is the same one you have then it has a kind of blue tint on the front of the bulb, right? I hope it works as good as yours. Also, what type of caulpera do you grow in your refugium? I tried the bubble, but didn't have much luck, from what I have heard its lif cycle is very short. The feather seems to be working the best for me. Do you have any pics?

nickoz

guppie,
I plan on a 20 gallon refugium to start with a 5in DSB some rock and some form of caulpera as i can grow! speaking of when I get my refugium setup (a couple weeks) does anyone have some caulpera they could part with at harvesting time.
As for lighting I was thining about either a 2x13 or 2x36 PC from ahsupply.com
-nick

nickoz

Originally posted by nickoz
...some form of caulpera as i can grow!

oops.. lets try that again....
....some form of caulpera, and as much
as i can grow!
-nick

guppie

blondenaso1 that is the right bulb, depending on the size of your refugium you might want to use a couple, mine is small so one works for me. I am not sure what type of caulpera I have it was given to me by my lfs, I do not have any pictures yet working one taking some pictures soon.
nickoz I would get the 2-36, you might need them if you are going to try some other types of algee.