weird bug found on dead fish

I had a sick puffer and he died last night. I had left him in a large net overnight cause he kept smashing into rocks. His spine was curved so he was just swimming around in circles uncontrolable. when i found him this morning and inspected his body there was what appeared to be some kind of bug that was neer his gill. It looked like it crawled out of him!!! anyone heard of this??? It was clear looking and had 2 black eyes. The reason i think it crawled out of him was he was in the net, near the top so there was no way anything could go in or out of the net.......im worried about the rest of the tank.

yea it looks almost identicle. how did it get there and what can i do do prevent it in the future? could this have caused it death??

bang guy

Originally posted by Angela&Landon
could this have caused it death??

Absolutely. These are really bad bugs. I don't know how to get rid of them. They probably came in on a fish or rock or sand.

WOW!!! now that you mention it i bought a couple pieces of LR cause it had some cool mushrooms on it. When i put it in the tank i saw a couple of what looked to be semi-transparent bugs crawl off. What do they do and how do they kill the fish???

R

royalshrimp

:( sorry about your loss. and good luck in the future lets hope those critters dont com back.:(

janelle

there is a magazine out now called marine fish and reef 2004 annual (picture of a lionfish on the front) at your local petstore with an article on live rock hitchhikers. it covers the isopods cirolanid and aegid. they multiply quickly and can overtake your tank killing all your fish. to prevent this happening, when you get new live rock you need to dip it in saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 for a minute (not too long!) and the hitchikers will bail off. the article says, "If you see one in your system, look for more. They are seldom seen simply swimming or crawling on the bottom of the tank: they are usually noticed on a fish, where they are seen fastened to the fins or body. The easiest way to remove them from your system is to catch the affected fish and use a pair of forceps or tweezers to remove the isopid from its body. Afterward put the fish into a hospital tank with some antibiotics, and leave it there until the lesions left by the idopod have healed. Sounds eay, right? Wrong!" it goes on to summarize:
the isopod may abandon the fish while youre trying to catch it. Once it leaves the fish, it will be impossible to catch. A female cirolanid can be carrying 30-50 juveniles. most isopods are fully nocturnal. they feed on fish at night and bail about an hour or two before dawn. you essentially have to remove all fish from the display tank and let the little bugs starve. the bad news is that it takes between three to six months. the article says after 6 mos, put a potentially sacrificial fish (usu. damsel) in the tank and watch it closely for several days to ensure it is not being eaten. If not, then add your fish slowly back into the display.
If I were you, I would keep a CLOSE eye on your other fish. If you see another one of these on your fish (get up in the middle of the night to see if there's any on your fish) then you need to probably take more drastic measures. good luck!

great this is not good!! A couple of damsels have died unexpected too, they are the only ones who sleep in the rock. The puffer did too put my clowns sleep floating on top. The wierd thing is is i saw one crawling on the botom one time and thought t was just some kind of shrimp or something so i left it alone. Stupid me, il jst have to keep an eye out, thanks guys.

janelle

waterfaller, re: the LR and 1.035 dip, ....I know, but that is what the article said to do to protect your tank from these things. You can read the magazine if you want so you can see it in context. It said if you only do it for a minute or two you shouldnt lose too much of the good stuff.....I'd personally rather lose a few beneficial pods etc than import a cirulanid!