weird stuff on snail shell

zman

I'm posting this pic for my dad. We noticed this stuff on the shell earlier this morning and were just wondering what it is.

vibe

montipora? my dad has a leather that looks like that in his 29 gallon. ill post a pic if you wish?

K

kistheeze

I had an snail with an encrusting SPS on it at one point. Really neat! Unfortunately, the snail spent a few days in the shadows and it didn't make it.

aegiale

Zman I have the same exact thing on one of my snails, I figured it to be some type of coral too. It's been there for many months now. It's funny when the polyps come out, it looks like a pom pom on the snail. Maybe our snails are long lost cousins :)
Seriously, though, it doesn't seem to affect the snail and it seems to be living quite well on its mobile home.

elfdoctors

I've got one of those growths on an astrea snail that I purchased from swf.com. I've just got a picture of it although the color is similar to zman's. This picture shows some of the open polyps. I am also interested if people still think this is a montipora? I have had it stay alive under PC lighting for over 2 months. It's hard to get the small snail in focus.