well, I found my mandarin

J

jstdv8

was MIA for 2 months, found him on the floor under the stand last night.
Didn't know they were jumpers
at least I know it wasnt from lack of food source or that stuff.
I need to make a screen for my tank :(

J

jstdv8

I thought something had ate him. hadn't even considered the possibility of him jumping out.
I was nervous to get another because i was afraid it was something not right with a food source or that maybe I had some sort of night time predator that ate him or something.
It's actually a bit releaving to know he jumped and didnt starve or something.
Sucks he's dead either way.
anybody got any homemade screens they use with alot of success?

mony97

I use eggcrate, salt does build up but not as fast as you'd think.. And I know either Joe or Spanko have a post up on the topless thread about making your own netting top.

gill again68

I did a homemade deal that I posted in my 90 gal with stand build thread. The only thing I did was covered the back where my canopy was open but instead of a flat top for the overflow section I made a tepee out of the netting. This way the fish could not jump on top and get stuck. They just roll back down into the water. I have a mandarin and couldnt imagine it jumping. I would think another fish may have gotten after it and it happened that way?? Sorry to hear about the loss.

M

megn25

We picked up our first mandarin a few weeks ago. I was looking for it the other night and couldn't find it. I thought maybe he was hiding in the rocks, but when checked the sump later, I realized he managed to get into the over-flow box and got sucked down in.
Luckily he survived it. I am hoping that was a random occurrence and I don't find him in there again. I felt really bad for the little guy!