Well Water

teresaq

Does anyone have an opinion on using well water that does not go thru a water softener. :notsure:

teresaq

Thanks, no i dont have RO right now.When we built our house, we had it in the kitchen, but its broken right now, so i have to buy my water. Hopfully we will be getting it fixed soon.

loopy

I have well water. Yep, I do. :yes: Everything is fine. Not that that means anything........dumb luck maybe????:thinking:

snipe

Dumb luck for sure "heck" I can use my tap water and it has no effect on my stuff "algea growth".

alohami

Unless you have your well water tested, you have no idea what's in it. You can get it tested through your state DEQ. Even so, I don't remember what all they can test for, so you still may not know everything you should before using it. We have good well water, but for the small expense, I would rather use RO to avoid any issues down the road.
I just buy my RO water from the water stand at Meijer ($0.29/gallon). I don't know what stores you have in your area, but I know Wal-Mart carries it ($0.33/gallon) and those are everywhere. lol. Price may be different in your area too.
HTH :)

shep77

Sorry everyone, but I have well water and am looking at starting a tank. I just can not imagine paying for water. That has to get soooo expensive.

alohami

Invest in your own RO/DI unit. Some can be found for under $100 on everyone's favorite auction site. Some of the models are more expensive, just depends on what you are looking for.
My tank is small, so I just used bottled water to start since it was cheaper in the short run. In the long run, buying your own RO would definately be more economical, especially for a large tank. I plan to pick one up myself after I've got all the start up costs out of the way.
Or, I guess if you're a gambler you could use well water, but bear in mind you have no idea what result you will get.
Good Luck!

reefnut

Unless you have your water tested to see what it contains do not use it. Well water can be worse than city water.
A RO/DI unit or buying water is CHEAP insurance. When you figure how much most of us sink into our systems, to me it's silly to cut corners (and save a little money) on something as important as water quality. It is very possible that the few bucks you save now will cost you double in the future.

candy3369

so well water is bad?? geez-ive been using it for a yr-but here recently im fighting a losing battle with some algae. i have to pick it off of my star polyp everyday-which in turn pisses him off and he wont half open. oh ya, and phosphate. so can well water be the culprit? will a sw phospate test also do well water?

loopy

a variety of places can test your water, including a lfs....ya, really. call a plumbing place or a water softner guy, they'll test it for free thinking they'll get your business. I was WRONG...we do have a water softener.........BRAIN FART.:jumping:
Even the 'city' in which you live should be able to test your water. Call around and ask. I live in the country outside a small small small town...but we have lots of places that will test it, even the high school will. Good luck, hope things go your way, I don't like to pay for water either, plus I have to drive so far to get it.............na.
again, good luck!!!!!

reefnut

Originally posted by candy3369
so well water is bad?? so can well water be the culprit?

I'm not saying all well water or all tap water is bad. Yes, the well water could be the culprit.
A RO/DI is 100$. You have to replace the filter every 6-12 months... most units waste around 3-4 gallons for every gallon made (look at your bill and see how much one gallon of water costs...). So there is some expense over just using tap or well water... but not enough to justify not using one.
Also, if anyone decides to test the water make sure you are testing everything that would be concerning to the tank... ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, copper, other heavy metals, fluoride, phosphates, silicates, PH, dissolved organics, etc...
Tap water users can go here... http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo/index.html for a general idea of what's in their water.
On a side note... water softeners do not purify the water.

candy3369

i dont have to pay for my water-so thats not a big deal. how do they waste water-i dont completely understand the schematics of ro/di-but i know i dont want to drive to my lfs and spend 2 hrs talking to the guy just to get 2 gallons of water(he's a little lonely)
forgot to mention, i live downhill from a cow farm!!

candy3369

anybody have experience with the naso tangs? i just ordered one from here, the first 2 died-the only fish out of both orders to die-so this one is a replacement-and right now hes in the bottom of the bucket just kinda laying there with white spots on him-hes not dead..........yet........anything i can do?

mj

But I have a Culligan water softner and a RO/DI unit under the sink. It produces a little over 1.5 gal of water an hour. Would this set-up be OK for my tank.......:notsure:

reefnut

candy3369, it's kind of complicated to try and explain but basically the 3-4 gallons wasted is water that don't make it through the RO membrane. With you living down from a cow farm I would almost guarantee you have phosphates in your water supply...
MJ, there is not reason (that I know of) to run the water through the softener before the RO/DI unit and you would not want to run the RO/DI water through the softener. Are they hooked together??

bang guy

Originally posted by MJ
But I have a Culligan water softner and a RO/DI unit under the sink. It produces a little over 1.5 gal of water an hour. Would this set-up be OK for my tank.......:notsure:

A TDS meter can answer that better than I can.

mj

They are hooked together. The water runs through the softner and then through the RO/DI unit.