Wet/Dry?

surfnturf

Nitrates are not that toxic to marine fish, they are a barometer used to deduce the health of the aquarium. Levels of 500 to 2400 ppm have been documented at LC50 or 50 percent mortality in marine fish, invertebrates are another story. I did a little research on the species being discussed here and came across conflicting information. They are a relatively easy to keep shark but they are still not "beginner" fish. A 125 gallon tank is given as minimum tank size and length reaches about 40 inches in the wild, pretty small shark. I read that they can survive 12 hours out of water, fascinating.

wamp

You can make your own wet dry. Very simply.
A large aquarium under your stand. Say, a 55 or so. Some plexiglass from lowes. Some aquarium sealent. Some Bio-Balls (ordered off internet) some light difusers(egg crate) and a pump.
Anyway, just a few ideas out their on the net. I would build my own before I boutgh one. You come out much better that way and are only limited by undertank space.

jim27

surfnturf:
I agree, you should have some sw experience before you get a shark IMO but they are by no means for experts only like some people think.
Also I wouldn't go any smaller than a 180 gallon(72"x24"x24") for an adult, I think thats the smallest you can go for the length and width of the tank.

surfnturf

I agree, I think that they recommend 125 for a juvenile, which is irresponsible knowing that a larger tank is necessary later on. What surprised me about the bamboo shark (never researched them fully before) was their ability to survive out of water for up to 12 hours, to me that has bulletproof written all over it. Cute little guys too, I looked at your site and I really liked the pic of you holding one of yours in your hand, kinda made me think of my koi.

elkhntr

The ones I was looking at getting are 10-12 inches to start. Do I need to set up a seperate tank filtration or no? Jim27 Will you get a bigger tank than the 180 gal? Since you have the sharks I was trying to replicate your setup.

shadow678

Newbie, how have you liked your Rocker? Is it quiet? Have you had any problems with it? I've been meaning to get one to experience first-hand so I can advise my customers on them, but I never get around to setting one up myself. Can you give me some feedback?

jim27

Originally posted by Elkhntr
The ones I was looking at getting are 10-12 inches to start. Do I need to set up a seperate tank filtration or no? Jim27 Will you get a bigger tank than the 180 gal? Since you have the sharks I was trying to replicate your setup.

A tank like mine would work fine for one but yes I'm having a tank made that will about 80"x48"x18" which I think is about 300 gallons for the sharks and I may add a third.

jim27

The tank is designed for one purpose, to keep sharks. I don't think it will be ugly. If you do, fine then, don't look at it.

Shadow678... The bio-rocker is awsome and very quiet i hear my skimmer all the time but not my filter. I started my tank about 5 days ago and my argonite wasn't as clean as i thought my tank was cloudy but my filter cleared it up in two days and i have had no problems so far. I will surly post if i do. By the way any tank with a shark in it can't be ugly especially if you build the stand and hood right. Oh lesson learned from me setting my tank up"When doing the plumbing don't do it at 3 am and forget to use teflan tape it sucks to take everything apart just to put tape on the next day when you find all the leaks."

novice150

Just thought I'd throw my .02 in here.
1st off: Jim27's advice/opinions are sound in my book. Especially his view on the all too common misconception that sharks are "for experts only." IMO your average dwarf angel is more of a challenge than your average shark.
MelbourneFL's statement on sharks needing to swim constantly was of my doing. He and I had a conversation about the black tip reef shark I intend to buy (which by the way IS a requim shark) and I informed him that the shark must constantly swim to survive.
LR in a bamboo shark tank is not a problem. Excessive LR is a problem. This has nothing to do with the sharp edges on the rock. Think about it, these sharks live in an environment with lots of rock, coral, sharp edges etc.... On the other hand, too much LR leads to problems in the home aquarium, such as too little swimming space, and the dangers of falling rock.
Last but not least: As I have said before, just because you don't currently own a 500 gal tank, does not mean you cannot purchase/hatch/raise a shark, and does not deem you irresponsible. It sounds too me like Elkhntr is genuinely interested/commited to keeping a shark. So I say, if you want the shark, and have a reasonable amount of space, get it.

novice150

If it was my tank, I'd look into adding a few large pieces of LR versus a bunch of small ones. That way you can decrease the chance of a landslide. The shark WILL dig around the rock and try to get into all of the caves/crevices. Especially to get food. I cant really give you an exact amount in pounds, but I'd venture to say somewhere around 80-100lbs max. You might want to ask splash or Jim27 how many pounds they have in their 180s.
Bottom line, get enough to add some bio filtration and decor to the tank, but dont cover more than 40% to 50% of the area of the bottom. Make sure all pieces are large enough or secure enough that they cant be knocked over by the shark.
Hope this helps:)