wet or dry skim

coraljunky

Originally Posted by Isistius
thanks for the help.....
Now what did I do

I voted wet. I cant pick either one because I feel its in between, but more wet than dry. Does that make sense?

al mc

Originally Posted by coraljunky
I'm staying out of this one.
I'll take the plunge. I like dry. Why...because it is what I have always done
and my tanks seem reasonably stable. Not scientific, just like many things in this hobby..just what I have been taught and it works for me.

edit...of course when I went to cast my 'vote' I pushed the wrong button and accidently voted for 'wet'

J

jrthomas40

i cant ever get mine to work right sometimes its dry sometimes its wet....but here lately it has been putting a lot of microbubbles in my sump that have been making it to the return and it wasnt doin that before i had to turn it off for a few days

trippkid

Originally Posted by ifirefight
Dry...unless my skimmer malfunctions...Then it is wet.

I'm with you. When it malfunctions, I get a huge mess on the floor.
Whether it does or doesn't, I personally feel wet skimming removes too much of other stuff, trace minerals mainly, IDK for sure.
Matt

earlybird

Wet. Works for me but I have a 29 so I have to top off with saltwater once or twice between water changes to replenish the salt taken out by my skimmer.

isistius

mine has been skimming dry for the last 18 months. only recently when i switched from my 135 to my 54, my skimmer would only skim for about 2 days or so, and then the inside of the cone would become so covered in skimmate, that it would stop skimming. there would only be about 3/4" of skimmate in the collection cup. last night i decided to try skimming wet to see if that made any difference. over the weekend, i will be doing a mesh mod to my pump. hopefully that will make all the difference.

xeniaman

I empty my skimmate before I go to bed and also when I wake up. The collection cup on my remora pro is full each time with dark tea, so I guess that would be wet.

flricordia

Originally Posted by ecooper
I have a seaclone, I'm happy with any skim!

I'm looking into getting the Remora...
LMAO

I love the seaclone-modified as a phosreactor.

isistius

Originally Posted by ecooper
I have a seaclone, I'm happy with any skim!

I'm looking into getting the Remora...
that's awesome.

i had the urchin when i first set up my 54, 2yrs ago. it worked pretty good and i was pretty pleased with the results