what about iodine

iechy

I think what Bang Guy is saying is that if there is no proof that it is beneficial and no proof that it is not harmful either that he would rather not add it if he can't adequately determine with commercially availabe test kits that he is keeping it at NSW levels. Until there is hard evidence one way or the other then in reality we are all taking a risk by either adding or not adding it:D The other point though is just because it's needed doesn't mean it can't be bad. You can actually kill yourself by drinking too much water but I think we'd all agree that we need some of it.

bang guy

ReefKeypr,
Not problem. Sorry if I snapped at you. I take critisizm better if it's followed by an alternate idea vs a slam. Now that I know you didn't intend to slam, all is better :)
Now to really open a bucket of worms... I've looked at a recent survey of skimmer makeup and... well there's just not a lot of Iodine in it.
This doesn't prove much because:
1 - The Iodine levels of the subject tanks wasn't recorded
2 - The skimmer models weren't disclosed
3 - The sample size was pretty small
So, if the samples were taken from tanks that doesn't get regular water changes and have undersized skimmers then the data doesn't really reflect the average skimmate. On the other hand if the data holds up to future experiments and testing then it's possible that the common belief of skimmers removing Iodine are false. I also (currently) believe that skimming removed significant amounts of Iodine but these test results really have me wondering, bordering on doubt.
Guy

oceanjumper

Nolofinwe~
Thanks for the concern.
Even while I do not know what kind of Xenia it is, it did pulse when I got it. After a few days in my tank it just stopped. It grows well though and it looks healthy.
My water par'ms are all good (NH 0, Ni 0, Na 0, 8-9 dKH (but I do have some difficulty keeping it there), Ca 400-450, pH 8.2, 80 F).
I wonder if it has to do with additives (Iodine?), current, lighting or all of the above. The Xenia split and I moved the original one to a spot with more current. Still no pulsing. Both Xenias are halfway up in my tank. It still beats me....

bang guy

Originally posted by ReefKeypr
Bang Guy
When your thesis is published.. I will pay more attention

Hey! I just noticed this. I can not understand why my thesis on Cooperative Intra-Industry Benchmarking for Information Technology Projects would be a deciding factor with my credibility... :confused:
Guy

arkman

LOL - Bang - I assume your (unpublished) thesis has nothing to do with zoology ;)
QUESTION: MY LFS is moving away from Kent/Tropic Marin salt very quickly moving to Instant Ocean exclusivly...Is it worth the premimum? And what do you look for in salt?

bang guy

Originally posted by arkman
LOL - Bang - I assume your (unpublished) thesis has nothing to do with zoology ;)

Good guess LOL
QUESTION: MY LFS is moving away from Kent/Tropic Marin salt very quickly moving to Instant Ocean exclusivly...Is it worth the premimum? And what do you look for in salt?

Arkman... this probably should have been a new thread ;)
If you can get Kent salt cheaper than Instant Ocean then do it. The salts are identical and simply shipped in different containers. Marineland bought out Aquarium Systems and have now licensed Instant Ocean mix to use as Kent.